 Castle / 2725
Re: [CW][OT-FUN] sound tracks (was: Casting Castle World)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Fri, 18 Feb 2000 17:01:05 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Jeff Johnston writes:
Pawel Nazarewicz wrote:

So, should I put bkgound music on my site, or would that be annoying?

If the person viewing can control it, then it may be good for the mood, but
if they cannot, forget it;)

Gotta go with Pawel and James on this one!  BG music should be controllable by
the viewer in case they don't *want* music for some reason.

I HIGHLY agree... on an HTML note, I find that you can always tell who's the
newbie web programmer because they often try to use all the cool tricks they
can think of: midi files, animated gifs, java applets, funky frame layouts,
etc... All these are really neat, but if not used well, or if not used
sparingly, they make the page look silly and quite unprofessional. Not to
mention that it takes up download time. If a page has midi, loads of animated
gifs, flashing text, etc., that's the usually surest way of guaranteeing that I
won't go back to the site of my own free will. But if you want to put music on
the page, DEFINITELY make it user controlled-- don't assume they want to hear
anything until they tell you so.

Anyway, that's my $.02

DaveE

(FUT .publish)