 Castle / 2504
  Erik leaves home

Caution fiction following.... Eirk Leaves Home. Erik hefted his pack into the small boat. Feeling the wind snap around him he turned back to look at the small town and the tower beyond. Now that it was time to go he was not sure he wanted to. It was (...) (24 years ago, 13-Feb-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Erik leaves home

(...) Great! (...) c/eirk/erik (...) <great story snipped> (...) It's great! I love how you managed, in less than a page of writing, to determine who Erik was, where he was, what he wanted and what is he doing to get it. Being an amatuer actor, I (...) (24 years ago, 13-Feb-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Erik leaves home

(...) Very well written! You did a great job of creating pictures in the mind of the reader - tremendous use of the english language without redundancy. I can still see the cliff-side beach scene in my head, with all the emotion of wanting to leave (...) (24 years ago, 13-Feb-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Erik leaves home

(...) <snip> (...) Very well written. James (URL) (24 years ago, 13-Feb-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Erik leaves home

(...) I've found that I have the same problem when writing up one small facet of a detailed backstory. If I put in enough detail to make the references and interrelationships clear, I drift too far away from the immediate purpose of the writing (the (...) (24 years ago, 15-Feb-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Erik leaves home

(...) I know what you mean. I have the same problem with my stuff. The way I handled it is, explain in a line or two who the person is. Later on, (if you're doing a storyline), write a chapter in the past, or perhaps a short monologue by one (...) (24 years ago, 15-Feb-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Erik leaves home

(...) Maybe I'm just used to this sort of thing, but I had absolutely no problem with understanding the first short vignette about Erik. Sure, there were people and places that weren't explicitly described, but from context I think the nuances were (...) (24 years ago, 15-Feb-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Erik leaves home

(...) Oh, I didn't mean that! I got the context quite clearly, I was just sympathizing with Jason who said he has a problem like that - and offering my own solution. *I* like the story that way, more "scope for imagination", not to mention mystery (...) (24 years ago, 15-Feb-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Erik leaves home

(...) eight from eight for the redoubtable Mr Johnston. (...) Actually I was after simply oceaney/islandy but since I'd named Erik before writing the story (my middle name is Eric and since it was handy) sort of after Erik the Red the scandahoovian (...) (24 years ago, 15-Feb-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Erik leaves home

(...) great work, james, and very inspiring! i want to do a similar character sketch for my mephsto character, now. i loved your delurk and presentation of eric as well! very original! you have a great writing style, and am looking forward to (...) (24 years ago, 15-Feb-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Erik leaves home

(...) He shoots, he scores! ;-) (...) Well, it's just the feeling of an island of seafarers - which connects, for some people, to Norway or Celts, I guess. It's a nice feel, anyhow. <snip> (...) Too bad, I want to see them... (...) Oh, but we do! (...) (24 years ago, 15-Feb-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Erik leaves home

(...) I may not use metric on a regular basis, but I'm not so metrically impaired as to not see a problem with the above (if you are metrically impaired, just look at your speedometer tonight and see what the problem with the above is). (24 years ago, 15-Feb-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Erik leaves home

(...) ;-) Mainly that 160 km are 100 miles, not the opposite... (and yes, I used to use the metric system regularly, until moving to the 'let's do it our way' US... :) -Shiri (24 years ago, 15-Feb-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Erik leaves home and goes many miles

(...) Oops! Well I guess that would make me imperically impared So it would be 65ish miles. I'm sorry but for me that's not so big a distance. Is that because I don't live with miles or is it just to do with the number involved. James from Oz (24 years ago, 15-Feb-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Units and the like (was Re: Erik leaves home)

(...) We're not doing it our way, we're doing it the old way. Everyone else went and did it some other way. I think the metric system is a plot by the French to take over the world (or maybe a backlash against anything English, as evidenced by the (...) (24 years ago, 15-Feb-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Units and the like (was Re: Erik leaves home)

(...) Using the "Star Wars" standard, there are 2.85 studs/meter. Jeff "You can't be a hero hiding underneath your bed" (URL) (24 years ago, 15-Feb-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Units and the like (was Re: Erik leaves home)

(...) Guess I should document. See this message: (URL) can't be a hero hiding underneath your bed" (URL) (24 years ago, 15-Feb-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Erik leaves home and goes many miles

(...) I suspect that Australia is somewhat like the USA in that respect. "In Europe, 100 miles is a long way. In America, 100 years is a long time." I suppose it's just what you're used to. I suspect that in Legoland, even one mile (scale!) is a (...) (24 years ago, 16-Feb-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Units and the like (was Re: Erik leaves home)

(...) about 2.87 studs = 1 minifig meter (this is based on your average minifig being 6 minifig feet tall, and actually being 42mm tall (5.25 studs or 4.375 bricks tall) So for metric, estimating about 3 studs = 1 meter is not too bad... for (...) (24 years ago, 16-Feb-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Units and the like (was Re: Erik leaves home)

(...) But remember that medieval minifigs were actually much shorter than modern ones because they didn't have as good nutrition. Shouldn't we take that into account? 8) I think that 1 stud = 1 foot would work pretty well for CW. At least for us (...) (24 years ago, 16-Feb-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Units and the like (was Re: Erik leaves home)

(...) lol (...) I'm all for it. That's usually what I use as my estimate, except that it means my minifigs are all 5 feet tall. On a side note, Altavista will spit out a bunch of conversion tools if you ask it for "metric conversion" (24 years ago, 16-Feb-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Units and the like (was Re: Erik leaves home)

On a side note, Altavista will spit out a (...) Does that actually include a "metric to Lego" chart? (24 years ago, 16-Feb-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Units and the like (was Re: Erik leaves home)

(...) Alas, no, it's not that sophisticated, although it did have such esoteric units as drams and fathoms. I should write my own utility and plunk it up on the net. All it is is simple math. (24 years ago, 16-Feb-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Erik leaves home

(...) Some of your picture references are broken due to case sensitivity issues. (24 years ago, 25-Oct-00, to lugnet.castle)

  James repairs his website (was:Erik Leaves Home)

(...) Thanks for the heads up. The site will be updated (graphically and contentwise) in December when final year university exams are over. James (who's not in the habit of visiting his own site.) P.S. where did you drop in from to check the site, (...) (24 years ago, 26-Oct-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: James repairs his website (was:Erik Leaves Home)

(...) Just follow the post references back... I've been slowly plowing through lugnet.castle extracting interesting web pages and posts to link to from my links pages. I've only got about 1400 posts left to re-read (or in some cases read for the (...) (24 years ago, 26-Oct-00, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: James repairs his website (was:Erik Leaves Home)

(...) Wow, I'm starting to move quickly, those older posts are quicker to deal with (partly due to finally getting back to the discussion of the 2000 sets, partly because many of the creations are already linked). I'm down to about 1100 posts to (...) (24 years ago, 26-Oct-00, to lugnet.castle)