 Castle / 2577
Re: Erik leaves home
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Tue, 15 Feb 2000 01:08:52 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Jason Catena writes:
In lugnet.castle, Bill Farkas writes:
My only criticism is all the name dropping without expounding on who or
what exactly is being talked about. I think there were two or three times
where you mentioned a person or place without clarifying who/what they are.
Minor point, please don't be offended.

I've found that I have the same problem when writing up one small facet of a
detailed backstory. If I put in enough detail to make the references and
interrelationships clear, I drift too far away from the immediate purpose of
the writing (the facet I'm explaining). If I only use references, to keep the
story to the point, it's more confusing because people aren't as familiar with
the backstory as I am.

I know what you mean. I have the same problem with my stuff.

The way I handled it is, explain in a line or two who the person is. Later on,
(if you're doing a storyline), write a chapter in the past, or perhaps a short
monologue by one character that will explain past relationships.

HTH,
-Shiri
Still up and running - the youngest member in lugnet.castle... :)