 Castle / 16875
Re: Trebuchets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Wed, 14 May 2003 13:33:05 GMT

Hallo Stephen!

Long time no hear... My fault, sorry!

It seems like everyone uses slightly different definitions. Here's how I
understand it:
Catapult is a generic word and refers to any machine that throws a projectile.

I agree 50%. I think a 'catapult' is every (battle) machine that throws
things by swinging an arm. I wouldn't call a ballista a 'catapult'. But
maybe the German meaning of the word is different to English.

A Trebuchet is just a big lever, it can have a weight or use manpower to swing
the arm. Most of the LEGO catapults have been trebuchets and you use your
finger to make it throw. But LEGO did have a weighted trebuchet in set 6059,
you can find instructions on Brickshelf.

Thanks to you too for the explanation :-)

A Ballista is a big crossbow and can throw rocks or darts.

LEGO has made one, too: http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6012 In German it is
called "Armbrust-Streitwagen" (Crossbow Cart), because German children are
not familiar with the word 'Ballista'.

Denis Pouchain has several different catapults at his Avolonnia site:
http://www.avalonnia.net/
(Under "Constructions, Machines de Guerre")

Though I like Denis' work very well I'm sorry to say that I have
difficulties with the navigation on his website.

An Onager is a catapult that uses some sort of spring to throw the weight. I
would call your catapult an onager. I have one at my site. I tried to use a
ladder as the spring, but it only throws about 6 inches.

Well, so it does better than mine :-)

Bye
Jojo