 Castle / 16862
Re: Trebuchets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Tue, 13 May 2003 16:26:31 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Johannes Koehler writes:
Hello!

Has anyone ever made one?  Anybody got pix?  Thanks!

I'm not sure if I understand the term 'trebuchet' correctly (Catapult,
Onager?)

Hello Michael and Jojo,

It seems like everyone uses slightly different definitions. Here's how I
understand it:

Catapult is a generic word and refers to any machine that throws a projectile.

A Trebuchet is just a big lever, it can have a weight or use manpower to swing
the arm. Most of the LEGO catapults have been trebuchets and you use your
finger to make it throw. But LEGO did have a weighted trebuchet in set 6059,
you can find instructions on Brickshelf.

A Ballista is a big crossbow and can throw rocks or darts. Daniel Siskind has a
few ballista's on his Brickmania site.

http://www.brickmania.com/Gallery2/castle/castles.html

Denis Pouchain has several different catapults at his Avolonnia site:

http://www.avalonnia.net/

(Under "Constructions, Machines de Guerre")

And so does Anthony Sava at his Ikros site:

http://www.ozbricks.com/ikros/siege.html

An Onager is a catapult that uses some sort of spring to throw the weight. I
would call your catapult an onager. I have one at my site. I tried to use a
ladder as the spring, but it only throws about 6 inches.

http://swroble.home.att.net/Projects/Things/Catapult/Catapult.html

Denis Pouchain has several different catapults at his Avolonnia site:

http://www.avalonnia.net/

(Under "Constructions, Machines de Guerre")

And so does Anthony Sava at his Ikros site:

http://www.ozbricks.com/ikros/siege.html

Stephen