 Castle / 14973
Re: Permanent Standard - A Medieval Town
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Sun, 3 Nov 2002 08:08:24 GMT

Thomas Garrison writes:

There's a problem here, in that there are (at least) two standards for
what constitutes believable design.  TLC has traditionally made many
concessions to playability and cost---for example, rooms and buildings
with only three walls, multilevel buildings with no way to move between
floors, and those abominable battlements that only come up to a minifig's
waist.  Sets like the Blacksmith Shop are an exception from TLC, but for
many fans represent a normal (or even baseline) level of detail and
believability for MOCs, and that seems to be the level of detail and
completeness suggested here.

As I envisioned it - these buildings would be like Daniel Siskund's sets - a
larger scale than most Lego castle sets - so many details can be added.

Direction of Streets - Streets shall be laid out in a north/south/east/we= • st
grid pattern.

A good idea, but not historically accurate.

I believe that some of this is historically accurate - depending on the town
and time period of the middle ages.  First, little new construction happened
in the dark ages and beginning of the middle ages - many Roman buildings and
materials were used/recycled.  Many centers of medieval towns were founded
by romans and retained the grid patterns used by them.  Second point - I
envisioned this town to reflect the building types and time periods.
Buildings like Dan's blacksmith shop are definitely from the later middle
ages.  Some more prosperous towns had building requirements limiting
building height and construction of straight roads (sometimes they were in
the cardinal directions and other times they radiated from the center of the
city)  Another idea would be to allow angled roads if someone designed an
entire block area and wanted one to go through their plots.

Allowing wandering roads in a
region where there is only one person in creative control might be good
(but such areas could also look jarringly inconsistent with everything
else).  And of course the waterfront should not be rectangular (since it
has to conform itself to natural features---river, lake, or sea).

Block shape - Each block shall be square or rectangular.  Rectangular
lots greatest dimension shall not be more than one and one half times
its shortest dimension. Sizes may be 32 x 32 and 64 x 32

Street Width - Main streets shall be a minimum of 16 studs wide.
Normal streets shall be 8 studs wide.  Alleys shall be 2 studs wide.

Two studs might make sense for interwall spacing where no one would go,
but a 'fig needs at least three studs to move in a true alley, ideally
four.

I agree with you on this.

Also note that the proposed block sizes are convenient for buildings, but
may be inconvenient for putting them together.  Most Lego baseplates are
multiples of 16 (sometimes 8) studs on each side.  Tan 8x## baseplates are
rare (I think), and green 8x## not terribly common.  I would not expect
that people could bring together a number of buildings on 16x16 baseplates
and have enough 8x## baseplates to just drop in roads.  A better solution
might be to plan buildings to live on a 16x32 or 32x32 (or whatever)
baseplate, with at least four studs reserved on one side for (one half of
a) road.  This raises the problems of corner shops, of course. . .

There is a solution to this problem.  If the roads are built independantly
from a baseplate and made of two layers of plates on top of each other to
form a grid, buildings on baseplates can be directly placed in their own
spots.  This would allow easy removal of a shop or house in order to open it
up, rotate it, or move it to a different location.  I will try to post an
picture of this soon.

Paving =96 All main roads and squares shall be paved.  Light grey plates
will be used.  If a street is not paved it must be tan or brown
(depending on the weather).  Green grass is not allowed =96 weeds and
small patches of grass are allowed.

Pure gray paving might look odd.  I believe there was a nice paved effect
at the 2002 Brickfest(?) using the three grays commonly available in the
Mosaic kits. . .

This is also a good solution

Walls shall be four studs wide by 28 studs tall, the top 4 studs being
crenellations, and connect with technic pins.

Designing compatible, modular wall sections is a big discussion all by
itself!  There are issues like color, batters, merlon and embrassure
widths, etc., etc., etc., many of which can vary from section to section
but must agree at the boundary.  See also
=09http://www.mindspring.com/~ffilz/Lego/castle-structures.html#WALLS
and LUGNET discussions that I'm too lazy too find now.

I need to look into this more.
Thomas - thank you for your concerns.  These were only my preliminary ideas
and obviously can all be changed.  This project would be everyones - not mine.

In addition - many of these concepts were made for cad buildings and walls -
thus no peice limitations or road problems.

Sincerely,

Ben