 Castle / 14962
Re: Permanent Standard - A Medieval Town
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Sun, 3 Nov 2002 04:50:45 GMT

I don't post here a lot, but I read everything that gets posted in .castle.
I've been following the discussion about (and am very interested in) a project
that everyone can contribute too. I have already started planning some
buildings to contribute.

There is a lot of talk about standards. I want to point out that the whole
idea of urban planning is quite modern. Real medieval towns just sort of
happened, streets were not straight and were not even the same width. Building
were different sizes and shapes and made from different materials. There were
attempts to impose some order, especially around castles where there were
limits about how close to the walls citizens could build and making sure that
the main routes to the gates were wide enough. But other than that it was
pretty much a free-for-all.

So why not just let it happen? There are some very good ideas here, I would
hate to see too many limits put on things before things even get started!

Stephen