 Castle / 14963
14962  |  14964
Subject:
MM Standard Clarification... Please read
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Sun, 3 Nov 2002 06:13:44 GMT

Hello,

I am sorry that I have been out of the loop the past couple days, my
seasonal odd-end job has been in control of me these past few days - and
will through tomorrow evening.  I have been doing a late night catch-up on
news reading and have seen some questions regarding the MM and then even a
second standard being brought up.  With the MM not even a week old, I would
like to request to everyone that we cool off and let time dictate the MM's
future.

I knew when creating the MM that there would be some bumps which the
Moonbase Project did not see.  I knew this because the spacers had
eye-to-eye discussions when planning the Moonbase project and we used email
to do our planning.

I wanted to bring in as many people as would volunteer to help me and the
others write the standard.  However, only 8 truly dedicated people
volunteered.  My fist note to people who are complaining about their
displeasure with the MMS, is, "Well why didn't you help?"

Many of the complaints some people are have were extensively discussed
within the group.  My opinion gradually changed as we discussed our ideas
and concerns in the effort to create the best, most easliy implemented
standard.  Once again, if you had been involved in the planning, you would
understand our disicions.

The MMS wasn't ment to be a law - it is a guide.  If you don't like it,
ignore one of the rules.  I am sure each real market stall would not have
been a "cookie-cutter" shop where everything was perfect!  Play around the
standard, don't limit yourself with it!  Too many people are reading the
standard and seeing problems with it, I read it and see opportunity.

I am ready and willing to make changes to the MMS when time and experice
tells me it is needed.  I need people to stop bickering and experiment with
the idea in order to find the real flaws with it.  You can do something
perfectly on paper, but never in real life.  I need people to find the flaws
through trial and error, not by reading something and not liking it.

To some, the MM is not what they wanted.  They wanted a modular town.  I
want to say that the MM is not, and never will be, a walled town.  The goal
of the MM was to provide a short, 2 hour project where we can shared ideas
and technique without having to spend hours on a castle.  I have seen a
begining effort to create a walled town standard.  At any other time, I
would have applauded that - but now I see it as a negative retaliation to
some people's dislike of the MM.  I am really upset I spent so much time and
energy into a project so many have been waiting for to then have to spend
equally amount of time defending it!  This isn't fair!

The planning for a modular town has been in the back of my mind too, but I
wanted the MM to be a test.  I want MM's sucess to dictate the creation of a
larger modular town building standard.  However, I am watching MM fail
becuase people cannot open their minds and cope with the MMS.  I cannot
understand how one can call themselve a lego builder and then argue that the
color of the baseplate in the MMS is wrong!  WHY CAN YOU NOT WORK AROUND THIS!

As one can draw from this post, I am not feeling too good right now.  I
right now feel like closing the MM Web Site and going back to keeping my
castle creations to themselves.  The community has killed the MM.  Ironic
that the MM's goal was to draw us together, and instead it caused more
bickering in .castle this week than we have seen this whole month?

<I went away a cooled off for a minute and came back>

I want everyone to know that the MMS is not to limit you, it is to open you
to the millions of possibilties around an Medieval Market.  I ask that there
be no more questions or complaints about the MMS.  I just want you to ignore
anything you don't like and then continue to build, or just don't build at all.

I want to wish a good luck to those who are considering planning a modular
town stanard, you will need it - as it seems even after you are done.

To the brainstorming group - you know who you are - I am sorry for bringing
you into this.  I thought we could make .castle better, and maybe the chance
is still there.  This week I am going to build, if we just have fun between
the 8 of us, our work will not be in vain.  I am glad I was able to
correspond with you and maybe I'll be seeing you guys at Brickswest if my
schedule will allow it.  If you want, you know my email and we can keep in
touch that way! :) I think I go into lurk mode for a few days so you can
talk to me there all the time.

There is nothing more I can say...

Jeremy

(I didn't bother to spellcheck or grammar check so don't mind errors!)