 Castle / 15005
Re: MM Standard Clarification... Please read
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Mon, 4 Nov 2002 22:04:43 GMT

Jeremy et al,

I wanted to add a few comments on this.  First, I absolutely agree with
Brett's feelings on the subject (see the post I replied to).  The idea of
the MM is fun, and green baseplates work just fine, if you consider the open
field usage arguement.  I actually kind of envision this as being like a Ren
Faire, so certainly the shops will be quickly built and generally small
(16x16 works fine).  And as Brett said, a two stud alley for crates is just
fine.  A sneaky thief can squeeze in sideways if he wants.

Furthermore, I don't recall your standard forcing people to have a narrow
alley.  If they want to pull their walls in and have less space for building
their stall, they can leave a wider margin for either alley or road, if
that's what they want.  So anyone complaining about narrow roads and alleys
can choose to build smaller stalls and still be part of the group-project.

I think that an occasional deviant by a stud's width (such as one of the
recent posters who said they had a two-stud overhang in front of their
stall) should be allowable.  This will make the roads seem to vary in width,
rather than be straight and modern looking.  This is one way that
castle-folks can be different than spacers.  (The Moonbase cannot accept
such variation as the meeting points of the MOCs must match up exactly.)  A
little variation in a small percentage of the MM models will actually be a
good thing.

As for the proprosal for a modular medieval town, don't take it too much as
an insult.  Rather, consider it as a compliment that someone was inspired by
your ideas to expand their own.  Imitation is the best form of flattery, no?
It seems to me that some builders just wanted to develop a slight variant of
community-project for castle, and that is great.  I however will probably
build more for the MM idea because the stalls can be so small and use so few
pieces.  This makes contributing to the MM project much easier than to the
others (Medieval Town, Moonbase, whatever).

So, in short, let me assure you that despite any negativity that may or may
not have been posted recently that there are certainly those of us who have
been inspired by the efforts that you and the committee put into the MM
standard.  My only regret is that I have a backlog of other Lego projects
that I feel must be completed first before I offer any of my own Market
stalls.  I hope to develop some ideas for my MM models in the spring, before
BrickFest.  Until then, please don't let my inactivity be mistaken for
disinterest.

Cheerio,
-Hendo