 Castle / 14172
Re: DRAGONS ROCKS!!! Puns unavoidable, not truly sorry :o)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Sun, 1 Sep 2002 05:44:13 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Frank Filz writes:

I've looked at it hard, and decided to pass. The painted and heavily
sculpted parts do look nice, but they don't look like LEGO. I also see
lots of nice things like this come from clone brands, but then the next
line goes in a different direction, so you get clashes of style. I also
really don't like those minifigs. I just don't like that unrealistic
overdone style which immediately makes me think of Games Workshop (the
painted miniatures in their materials look nice in a certain way, but
are very overdone and unrealistic in my mind).

They had a small tin (yes, tin) of the minifigs with a few figs, an
assortment of weapons, and some odd bricks and baseplates.  I bought one of
the silver guys and one of the bronze guys (incidently, there were 8 there
the day I bought them, all were gone the next, so people were giving at
least the small tin a shot).

The figs are, as you say, Games Workshop overblown style.  They don't have
the charm that the Lego minifigs have, but that's a matter of taste I
suppose.  The heads seem to be glued on.  Some of the legs are wobbly.  The
shields are too big to place the figs in a four-stud wide configuration
without front-to-back staggering.  The smaller weapons don't look too bad on
a Lego fig.  Despite the criticism, they passed my son's cool-o-meter..

I am somewhat intrigued by the base plates for use as islands in the
Pirate Game, but I've just more and more decided that most clones just
aren't worth it. If Tyco was still making brick, I would probably buy
their stuff since it didn't depend on such non-LEGO-like style, and used
a very similar quality plastic.

The raised baseplates are similiar to many miniatures-style terrain that you
can buy, except with studs.  I'm definitely interested in acquiring a few of
these.

Bruce