 Castle / 13423
Re: Village, etc
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Wed, 12 Jun 2002 19:00:48 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Bruce Hietbrink writes:
In lugnet.castle, Tanya K. Burkhart writes:

Where're the sheep?  I didn't see them - I've been trying to build some and
an example of someone else's would be nice

A nice close up of the sheep, chickens, and goose I used:
http://www.suave.net/~dave/images/newtown/sheepnchicks.jpg

*Dave, just a suggestion.  You might want to break this page up into several
sub-pages with only a few pictures on each page.  This would avoid the
extremely long download times for any given page.

The entire site's going on an overhaul :) However, I'll probably keep them
all on one page since it really wouldn't save overall download time, being
that each seperate page combined would take at least (probably more) than
the whole page at present. Actually, it would probably take *more* time
since this way you can still be looking at the top images while the bottom
images are downloading, and it won't wait for you to be done before
continuing with the next image...

I think the real problem is that I was lazy and didn't make thumbnails.
Hence, it's downloading each full 640x480 image, even though it only
displays them at ~267x200. If I changed the images to thumbnails, but kept
the links alone (so you could 'zoom in' on each picture), it would
doubtlessly download much faster. That's going in on the overhaul. I plan to
have something similar to BrickShelf for myself: upload a bunch of files,
have them all thumbnailed automatically, and make a gallery page, then have
an editor I can go into and play with text, captions, and the like. When's
this overhaul? Umm-- I've kinda been waiting to unleash my latest huge
creation (it's Star Wars, sorry), and overhaul the site at the same time...

DaveE