 Castle / 13422
Re: Building a small medieval church
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Wed, 12 Jun 2002 18:20:37 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Magnus Lauglo writes:

Not that this is very important, it is just historic reference (if you are
building a medieval church for use in a town layout, for instance :-).

So you're saying I don't necesarily need both an alter and a pulpit if I want
to be historically accurate?

Definitely need an altar.  The central moment of the mass is communion.
Every old church I've seen has both the altar and pulpit (though some
pulpits are much more ornate stone-carved things, and others are little more
than a stand.

On tombs, these are often on one of the sides of the church in little
alcoves, but I've also seen them in the back, behind the whole pulpit/altar
area.  This was in a big cathedral (the one in Cologne).  Tombs can also be
in an area apart from the sanctuary (perhaps in a basement?) with a little
prayer area by each and a place to light candles.

Bruce