 Castle / 13415
Re: Building a small medieval church
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Wed, 12 Jun 2002 10:32:46 GMT

"Magnus Lauglo" <thunder_road@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:GxKpr4.40s@lugnet.com...
Hi all,

I am building a small medieval church for my castle, and while I have • finished
most of the walls and stuff, I'd appreciate some input into details for • the
interior. I know next to nothing about Christianity in the middle ages or
different kinds of churches, but I want to make something that looks • somewhat
realistic. A couple of questions:

What the the differences between an abbey and a monastery in terms of the • kind
of features they might have? Do I understand correctly that monasteries • would
be located in some out of the way part of the countryside, whereas abbeys • would
be more likely to be found in a town or a castle?

An abbey is a monastry (or convent) governed by an Abbot (or Abbess)

The confusion comes as churches that were once attached to an Abbey tend to
retain the name 'Abbey'

What should an alter look like, what is it used for, and where in the • church
should it be placed?

An alter is a table pure and simple. Often clothed with a (alter) cloth
It sits at the front center of the church. The Pulpit stands to the side of
it. Take a look at http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/rs/2/Christianity/plans.html
church layout hasn't changed much for centuries. Most churches take the form
of a cross. The Alter at the head the main door at the foot

Would it be plausible for a small church in a castle to have a tomb for an
deceased lord, where priests would pray for his soul? Or would that be • more
the kind of thing which would be in a distant monastery?

yes certainly. They tend to be in the wings closer to the main door.

Would the priest be likely to live in a building attached to the church
itself?

If you mean physically attached no probably not.Churches did and still do
tend to have a house in the grounds or nearby for the priest. Its called a
Manse if your Presbyterian  not sure what its called otherwise

My church is not very big, the interior is probably about 12 by 24 pegs • for
the main part, plus a small corner alcove of about 8 by 8 pegs. What are • the
most important features to include?

Alter, pulpit or lectern and seats. thats all I put in mine :)
http://www.minifig.co.uk/models/church1.htm

thanks

Magnus

HTH

--
James Stacey
---------
#925 - I'm a citizen of Legoland travelling Incommunicado