 Castle / 13425
Re: Building a small medieval church
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Wed, 12 Jun 2002 23:13:15 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Magnus Lauglo writes:
Pedro,

In lugnet.castle, Pedro Silva writes:

I'd add a word here, concerning the evolution of "catholic layouts". I
believe that after Vatican II, in the 60's, there was a guideline so that
churches would have the altars re-arranged in such a way that the priest
would face the congregation. Prior to that, the altar was just a table next
to the front wall.
Also, many churches have only one stand, that is used for both lectures and
preaching. It is located to the side, but its position varies a lot.

Not that this is very important, it is just historic reference (if you are
building a medieval church for use in a town layout, for instance :-).

So you're saying I don't necesarily need both an alter and a pulpit if I want
to be historically accurate?

The altar is definately important. Plus a pulpit (older churches) or a
lecture stand (modern ones), and one part that I forgot earlier and is the
most important in a Catholic cathedral: the sacrarium.
What I meant to say was that the relative placement of the altar inside the
church varied in time. So if you are building a medieval cathedral to use in
a modern-day layout, you might consider "modernizing" that tiny (yet
important) part of the church.

But it varies a lot. In the Mosteiro de Alcobaça (Alcobaça Monastery,
central Portugal), the tombs of the king and his mistress are located in the
transept, in central positions. Older churches have usually tombs for dead
noblemen throughout the floor (usually on wings and entrance), but also on
the sides of the apse or in private chapels.

Just fo rthe record, is a chapel just a small church, or does it refer to an
actual part of a larger church?

Can have both meanings, but the one I meant was the latter. A chapel is
usually a small side-sivision of a church, in which there can be a tomb, an
altar, an image,...
The best examples I know of chapels are in Iberian cathedrals, but I'm sure
they were originated elswhere (France?).

I think this particular issue is greatly dependant on local traditions. It
also depends a lot on the style (age) of the building. What will you be
using, Norman/Romanic or Gothic? (or other)

I don't quite know what the style is called, I have tried to make it looks like
some medival churches I have seen, quite simple really, without any buttresses
or battlements and such. I don't think it is gothic.

If it has no butresses, it's likely to be Norman (for southern Europe,
"Romanic" is used frequently)

If I had a digital camera, I'd go downtown and take some snapshots for
you... there are some medieval churches nearby, in more than one style. I'll
see if I can find some good link about this subject.

Pedro