 Castle / 13426
Re: Building a small medieval church
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Wed, 12 Jun 2002 23:20:35 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Bruce Hietbrink writes:
On tombs, these are often on one of the sides of the church in little
alcoves, but I've also seen them in the back, behind the whole pulpit/altar
area.  This was in a big cathedral (the one in Cologne).  Tombs can also be
in an area apart from the sanctuary (perhaps in a basement?) with a little
prayer area by each and a place to light candles.

Quite right, I had forgotten that. In Granada (southern Spain), there is a
cript below one of the cathedral's chapels, in which the remains of the
"Catholic kings" are buried. Very small, but impressive with all the artwork
in the above chapel.
I think cripts were more frequently used for "old bones", not so much for
burials. But this is just a guess...

Pedro