 Castle / 13412
13411  |  13413
Subject:
Building a small medieval church
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Wed, 12 Jun 2002 03:30:40 GMT

Hi all,

I am building a small medieval church for my castle, and while I have finished
most of the walls and stuff, I'd appreciate some input into details for the
interior. I know next to nothing about Christianity in the middle ages or
different kinds of churches, but I want to make something that looks somewhat
realistic. A couple of questions:

What the the differences between an abbey and a monastery in terms of the kind
of features they might have? Do I understand correctly that monasteries would
be located in some out of the way part of the countryside, whereas abbeys would
be more likely to be found in a town or a castle?

What should an alter look like, what is it used for, and where in the church
should it be placed?

Would it be plausible for a small church in a castle to have a tomb for an
deceased lord, where priests would pray for his soul? Or would that be more
the kind of thing which would be in a distant monastery?

Would the priest be likely to live in a building attached to the church itself?

My church is not very big, the interior is probably about 12 by 24 pegs for
the main part, plus a small corner alcove of about 8 by 8 pegs. What are the
most important features to include?

thanks

Magnus