 Castle / 11540
Re: 20 answers (Building, ideas, supplies)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.build
Date:
Sun, 6 Jan 2002 06:10:50 GMT

I'l tackle what questions I can and see what I can do!

Thanks for that, I know I had alot there :)

We-ell, you never really can tell. Sometimes they appear, other times they
don't. The BV accessories, e.g., were Europe-only for a long time and then
became available for awhile. Are they not available anymore? That's a shame
(they're awesome). Did you actually call them and check? Just because
they're not in the catalog doesn't automatically mean that they're
discontinued... I've had that happen. (I once found a 5571 at S@H in fall
1999, when it was long out of catalogs...)

I'll have to do that, I was just using the Lego S@H Web Page.  Perhaps I
should call to make sure as well!

You're right, it is the eternal question for everyone. ;-)  The answer is
not single, nor is there one "right" answer...

For down-and-out bricks, I'd recommend grabbing as many 1200-pc. blue
buckets as you can before they disappear. For accesories, well... desert
adventurer sets if you can still find them are *great*, but they've been
mostly gone for a few years now. It depends on where you live - some of the
imagination stores or, rather, the outlet stores might still stock them.

Argh!  I haven't seen one of those 1200 piece buckets anywhere here in
Rochester :(  And as for Outlet Stores?  Well, I've been to the one in
Downtown Disney twice now, but it's a few hours flight away, so I can't just
pop down there :(  I think I have to scavenge for more stores to look at,
instead of just the Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Target, K-Bee, Toys 'R Us loop I
usually hit.

That would be my exact answer. A lot of people *do* put in little "how-to"
tidbits, so just be on a constant lookout. If you see something amazing
that's not explained, ask! It's that simple. The best building techniques
come with experience, trial and error, or from seeing what other people have
done. And anyway, any "imitation" is just plainly the sincerest form of
flattery, IMHO. If I saw people using my tricks I'd be thrilled, not mad.

Maybe we can get Jeff to start that furniture store he wanted to do :)
If I had that sort of time, I'd be all into it at the moment!

Okay, here goes. Modulization is one of the most important thing for model
builders (model as opposed to sculpture). Especially if you focus on
interior detailing, having your buildings detach is *vital*. So, a few
different methods, and their tips and tricks:

Very true, I want to see the nitty gritty insides of things!

- Have every floor detachable. This case works really well when the
building's area is not too large, and also when there are not *too* many
floors.

What I'm doing currently, since they are small buildings...

I recommend always using a double layer of plates for the ceiling/floor.

I really am skimping at the moment then, but lack of bricks makes it
necessary right now :(  I need another $20K in Lego, now! :)  I have the
bare minimum on the bottom layer to keep the top layer together!  I haven't
tried stressing it much yet to see how well it holds, though I imagine not
too well :(

- Separating a building into a few sections, width-wise. That is to say -
have the building split along a vertical line. This can be acheived in a few
ways:
* Technic pins - I'm not too fond of this method, but it works.

I agree, I've though about using this in the future, but it doesn't seem the
way too go.  I may stick those in for modulizing like the old Castle line
sets, just so buildings can be stuck together with some stability, without
actually sharing any pieces, but I may scrap that, only time will tell.

* Hinge bricks - this works to an extent, but is not perfect. I'm talking
about these pieces - <part:3830>, <part:3831> as a couple and/or
<part:2429>, <2430> as a couple. Again, you can put them on walls (although
that's not common practice, but Matt Verdier has a great example of that in
his Wizard Tower), or in the middle of the building (there's a good amount
of these examples).

This does seem to be the way to go when not making entire floors detachable.
It does look like this could cause problems for structural integrity and
parts which would stick off the wall into the inside of the model (ok, that
was an image I couldn't describe well...), interesting dilemmas...

* Having your roof come off is *always* good practice. If you keep the
roof simple, it's easy to have it detachable - for example, two
hinge-connected plates resting on some slopes are easy to take off and put
back on again. Dave Eaton has great examples in his peasant houses.

Yes, I loved those!  I totally scammed at idea, and just did a 3 angle roof
instead of a 2 angle Peaked roof :
_
/ \
I hope the formatting comes out right for that, but with HTML it probably
won't, maybe in the newsreader it will :)  An interesting problem with that
design though was this...

On the smaller building, the roof seems to work great.  each section is 6
wide and maybe 12-14 long?  It fits together great, and the top section
snaps on to a couple plates and holds the 2 angled ones nice and firm on the
3x1 slopes.
On the larger building, again using 6 wide sections but maybe 18+ long, the
sections seem to have some buckle in them, and when attempting to snap the
top layer on to hold them in place like on the smaller one, they seem to
stress and not fit right, often pushing the middle off the plates it's on,
or pushing on the plates around the base of the roof, enough to separate
them :(  2 Pictures are worth a couple hundred words here, alas the models
are not here, and I have no digital camera anyway!

* A totally different approach, which works especially well with
half-timbered houses, is to have every wall built separately and the corners
are 1x1x5s. If they are only loosely fitted to the floor and ceiling (e.g.
part tile, part plate) then each wall can be taken off for easy reach to the
interior. The only building I've sen made this way is Chris Maddison's mayor
house.

I have seen that one, and I liked it, though I'm not sure exactly the idea
with the approach.  Maybe an .mpg demonstration? ;)  The detachable floors I
have in my one building are part tile, part plate, but it is not a half
timbered house and doesn't have any 1x1x5s, so I'm thinking my approach is
unrelated :)  I'll have to read more on this one to fully appreciate it I think.

That's a toughie. You're right, it makes for *such* realistic settings. The
more plates, the better - don't let it look "blocky", as you said. And use
different colors, mix them a lot - green with tan, tan with grey, green with

OK, green and tan baseplates?  So, where do you get this mythical pieces? :)
I got some tan plates from cheap Landspeeders, but $3.32 each for a couple
tan plates won't get me too far right now :(  That's ok though, have to
build up slowly.  But green plates?  Wow, I used to think I had a lot of
Lego, but that sure isn't the case seeing the things out there :)

grey and brown... but in good taste. If you're building a large setting, use
mega-bricks every so often so that you're not wasting plates on all that
space.

I've never used Mega-Bricks?  Just how good are they, and how cheap,
compared to Lego?  I haven't soiled my collection yet (though I do have som
Loc-Blocks in the basement, but those are from before there was any Lego in
the house :) ).  I can see using them for a few underplatings, and then
topping it all off with Lego?  Also, is there any good way to "hollow out" a
hill or mountain?  I've seen some strange multi-color scaffoldings built in
some larger mountain's to give them some stability for example...

It's fine to use bricks - just "hide" them with plates. Chris always
says that if you just start putting things down without really thinking too
much, it comes out the best - organic, not planned, rough and natural. You
just gotta experiment.

I'd better remember that, I have a thing with "symmetry", which isn't good
for natural landscaping!

As for buildings on inclines - I haven't seen many examples for those. Chris
and I had a really lovely one made for this Brickfest, though, IIDSSM. We
built the building first on plates alone, and only later landscaped and
added the house on it all. We even had a built-in cellar, which was totally
cool! (My idea, of course! ;-)  ). There aren't many pictures of it up, but
I'm hoping to get some taken soon...

Please do, I'd love to see!

You're right, that *would* be a great idea. I don't think anyone's done it
before, *but* I would recommend browsing Heather Patey's brickshelf gallery
for ideas. She's got some awesome stuff. Bram Lambrecht does too, but he's
more town-and-space. Maybe *you* should compile a page with all those links,
whaddaya say? ;-)  Ahh, if only one had the time...

Ooh, I've seen Heather Patey's before, I remember seeing the "round door",
thought it looked pretty neat!  And a nice spruce tree as well.  Of course,
I've never seen that hedge maze before, that's a great idea!  The only thing
I don't like about it is the prospect of ordering more trees and bushes :)

Heh, likewise here! Take care! Nice talking to you. What a ramble! Thanks
for the excellent questions - I really had to jog my brain for some of those.

Thanks for the time and ideas, I hope I can put some of them to use sometime
soon!

plucky