 Castle / 11519
11518  |  11520
Subject:
20 questions (Building, ideas, supplies)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Sat, 5 Jan 2002 02:41:03 GMT

Good evening, a few questions and such I'd like to ask, if anyone can
answer/discuss any of them, that'd be great!  I'll just dive right in... (A
bunch of these questions aren't strictly "Castle", but I'm asking them all
from the Castle builder point of view, and the "Build" group seemed too
crowded with stuff not related to these building questions, so I went here
with it).

1) Anyone know if S@H sets available in other countries will eventually be
available (or again available if they were at one time) in the US?  A couple
specific ones I was curious about were 5399 Belville Fairytale Accessories,
the 2x2 black smooth tiles, and 5381 Adventurers Accessories?  Lots of neat
little parts I don't own any of yet in there (the crate, the glass bell jar,
snakes, and 4 gems in the Belville one is nice too, I think I have 1 gem total).

2) What is the best way, from experience, to get gads of good building
pieces?  I would like to get a bunch of white, and wonder if S@H is the way
to go, or if there are sets or buckets that would provide good pieces like
that, as well as good accessories.  This is probably the eternal question
for everyone, but I'm just looking for experience I guess :)  Until now I've
just bought sets that I liked and built them.  Now I want to finally make my
own, and find that it's easy to run out of supplies very quickly!  After
only 2 small buildings my supply of white 1xN bricks was nearly depleted!  I
know, I only have about a $4K collection, but that's still a lot of money to
me :)  Oh, and my large (4xN) blue plates are all but gone too, after using
them to make a 3 piece roof for the smaller of the 2 buildings, I didn't
have enough to even THINK about a blue roof on the larger one :(

3) Where are good places to read up on/research good building techniques?
The upcoming "Tips and Tricks" in Andrastavia is one I'm looking forward
too, but are there other good resources for this?  I've been to many a site
that shows it's creations, but I want to see inside the creations, see the
details of how it all went together.  I think I'll be the Borg of design,
I'll steal what I can from everything I see :)  Particular building tips I'm
wondering about right now include...

3a) Modulization without Juniorization.  My first building worked well
enough, with a detachable roof (although it is in 3 pieces), and a removable
2nd story to get to the first, but I don't think it is very "optimized".
Any pointers for making the floor for the 2nd story the most stable with the
least pieces would be great, as well as other methods of "detachability".  I
used a good portion of my 1xN grey smooth pieces for just those 2 buildings,
and that was just to split the 2 levels!  Also, ways to split a large
building up into smaller chunks to help with building it, and with getting
inside it once it's done.  I have no aspirations for such a project just
yet, but anything learned now will make it easier then.

3b) Landscaping and uneven ground.  Including things like mountain sides,
small hills, cliffs, and just slight inclines, what is the best stability
vs. piece method of making landscaping?  Should I go order 10,000 packs of
green bricks and just start stacking, or is there a better way (I know
there's a better way as I've seen better ways, but I haven't seen enough
detail to know the 'specifics').  Also, how to build flat buildings on
uneven ground?  I would like to add even just a little slope to whatever
large scale project I make in the future, as I think it would add a lot to
the feel of it, but it adds the challenge of i) getting buildings to sit on
it right and look right, and ii) getting enough green (or grey for inside a
city, which I plan on doing) plates to accomplish the task without it
looking "Blocky" (sorry about that one)

I need all the help I can get, because this building thing might become a
bad habit, and my girlfriend will cut off my Lego supply if I just try to
start ordering willy-nilly :)  I have a shopping cart at S@H with $97 worth
of stuff in it right now (Blacksmith's Shop, Guarded Inn (it'll be my 2nd, I
love those red wall pieces!), 4 sets of trees (2 cypress, 1 Large spruce and
1 small spruce), and a pack of 100 2x2 Smooth White plates) and that'll be
the end of my Lego for a couple months (I picked up 3 Landspeeders and 3
Maul vs. Qui-Gon sets on sale a KB for 3/$10 last week, and 2 more
Styracosaurus' this week, she's going to beat me shortly :) ).  This itself
doesn't give much more raw building material to me in grey (in 1xN bricks at
least, as I'm keeping the Blacksmiths shop together :) ), and nothing in
White *sniff*, and no blue plates (if only more of the Naboo Swamp sets were
around on clearance!)

4) Ooh, I just thought of one.  Is there a nice place with pictures (not
.DAT files, I haven't gotten into LDraw yet!) for simple things like Doors
and Furniture?  I saw a few searching on Brickshelf for "Furniture" and
"Chair", etc etc, but not all that many :(  Any place that's full of ideas
like that would be great!  I suppose I could try surfing every link
available on Lugnet, but I figure you guys have already done that :)  I
built a few doors for one of my buildings, but I think it'd be excellent if
there was a place that had a compilation of doors, doorways, beds, desks,
etc etc.

I think I've hit all the questions I had at this time, and I've spent long
enough looking at Lego for one night, I have homework to get to!

Thanks in advance!

plucky