 Castle / 10873
Re: Here's a preview of the new one...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Sun, 11 Nov 2001 02:13:29 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Sheree Rosenkrantz writes:
In lugnet.castle, Daniel Siskind writes:
At Pawel's urging, here are some snapshots of the latest castle I'm working on.
this one is a fiary tale castle I'm building as a doll house for my daughter
(fits both minfig and scala)....

http://www.brickmania.com/gallery_castle.html

Enjoy!

Dan

This castle is magnificient!  Your daughter must really love it.  For her to
see the daily progress is probably just as much a treat as getting to play
with a more finished structure.

I only get to work on it 1 or 2 days per month, so she's pretty much used to
playing with it as is, with the random suprise arrival of a new tower or
finished section.  She's really kicking my butt to finish the main keep and
Sleeping Beauty's tower...

I am fascinated that it can fit both minifig scale and scala scale.  This
would certainly gives it more play value.  How is this accomplished?

It's quite simple.  All of the rooms inside the keep are 16 bricks high from
floor to ceiling and all of the main doors are the largest castle type, which
will fit all the Scala dolls.  The keep splits in half down the middle, so it's
really like having two equal sized doll houses.  The only exception is the tower
with the spiral stairs, which only fits minifigs.  Also, with exception of the
main gate, the towers on the outer walls do not open up for interior details.  I
had to draw the line somewhere.

The printed base on which the castle stands is really nice.  Could you give
some information about it? Is it part of the table?

That's a Thomas the Tank Engine play table made by the company that does the
wooden trains.  It's very nice, but also quite expensive, so we have to thank
grandma for that!

I think the Disney theme park castles are based on the Alcazar in Segovia,
Spain, which was built in the 11th century and rebuilt at the beginning of
the  15th century
http://www.castles.org/castles/Europe/Western_Europe/Spain/spain.htm
http://www.greatbuildings.com/cgi-bin/gbi.cgi/The_Alcazar.html/cid_3122724.gbi

I look forward to hearing and seeing more...

regards,
sheree

I think those Disney castles were modeled on a number of castles and the Alcazar
of Segovia is probably a large contributor.  I also think a big influence was
Neauschwanstein in Germany and there is even a reference to Disney here:

http://www.castles.org/castles/Europe/Central_Europe/Germany/germany7.htm

Thanks for the words and take care!

Dan