 CAD / MLCad / 687
Re: MLCAD Suggestions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.mlcad
Date:
Mon, 11 Dec 2000 16:02:01 GMT

"Andy Lynch" <andy@andyandjackie.com> wrote in message
news:029801c06082$b237f300$0f0112ac@meridianhealth.com...
----- Original Message -----
From: "John VanZwieten" <john_vanzwieten@email.msn.com>
<snip>
Multipart Files:  This part of MLCAD is just awesome!  The one • option
would like to see added is the ability to "refresh" one of the • sub-models
from disk.  You have "remove model" and "import model" options, • but to
"refresh" a submodel, I have to remove, then re-import the model, • then
edit the reference in the main model.  A "refresh" option that • would
just
replace the contents of the sub-model with its contents on the • disk
would
be great.

Uhhh, this bit is hard, after importing MLCad discards all • references to
the
original file from which the data where imported.

Perhaps you could bring up the find file dialogue so that the user • could
choose the file from which to "refresh" the submodel.

But you could modify the
sub-model in MLCad - in that case the main-model will be refreshed
automatically.

But consider the case where the same submodel is used in 5 model • files.
If I change the subfile, then I have to make the changes in all 5 • model
files by hand.
<snip>

John,
You can export the submodels into individual DAT files.  MLCad will • allow you
to browse to a directory that you will put them in, and (I'm pretty • sure)
prompt you if it needs to replace an existing copy.

Of course, that won't help if you the model is already in use in another • MPD
file, unless your other suggestion regarding "refreshing" the submodel • could be
implemented also.

And that's just the situation in which I've found myself over the last few
weeks.  I had the same submodel used in 10 model files, then found small
errors in the submodel.

-John Van