 CAD / MLCad / 683
Re: MLCAD Suggestions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.mlcad
Date:
Thu, 7 Dec 2000 19:19:56 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "John VanZwieten" <john_vanzwieten@email.msn.com>
<snip>
Multipart Files:  This part of MLCAD is just awesome!  The one option • I
would like to see added is the ability to "refresh" one of the • sub-models
from disk.  You have "remove model" and "import model" options, but to
"refresh" a submodel, I have to remove, then re-import the model, then
edit the reference in the main model.  A "refresh" option that would • just
replace the contents of the sub-model with its contents on the disk • would
be great.

Uhhh, this bit is hard, after importing MLCad discards all references to • the
original file from which the data where imported.

Perhaps you could bring up the find file dialogue so that the user could
choose the file from which to "refresh" the submodel.

But you could modify the
sub-model in MLCad - in that case the main-model will be refreshed
automatically.

But consider the case where the same submodel is used in 5 model files.
If I change the subfile, then I have to make the changes in all 5 model
files by hand.
<snip>

John,
You can export the submodels into individual DAT files.  MLCad will allow you
to browse to a directory that you will put them in, and (I'm pretty sure)
prompt you if it needs to replace an existing copy.

Of course, that won't help if you the model is already in use in another MPD
file, unless your other suggestion regarding "refreshing" the submodel could be
implemented also.

-Andy Lynch