 CAD / LDD / 229
Re: Can anyone get these parts to intersect at right angles in LDD?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ldd
Date:
Fri, 19 Jun 2009 02:46:58 GMT

"ivansanchez" <ivan@sanchezortega.es> wrote in message
Geoffrey Hyde wrote:
If LDD lets me do that, beautiful!  I don't mind a gap or two, in fact
given it happens all the time in real models, I'd expect gaps.

Well, this is a CAD software, and I expect everything to be perfectly
aligned to a 1-LDU grid, dammit!

One of my issues with LDD is this model I made a while back for a
classic-space.com contest:

http://ivan.sanchezortega.es/lego/moonbase/lxf/starjustice_moonbase_greenhouse.lxf

There is a SNOTted 6x5x1 white wall panel which is removed due to a
collision. If you move away the surrounding windscreens and put everything
back into place, it'll look good. Until you save the file and open it
again. Try it.

I see.  I not only had to move the surrounding windscreens, I also had to
move the surrounding 1x6 curved slope bricks, and a 1x1 technic brick with
hole, before I could get everything to fit back together.

Can you rebuild that same end from scratch (without building the whole
moonbase) and repeat that error?  Can you build or find a program that will
remove the rounding in the file for all of the bricks?

You may say that smaller-than-1-LDU gaps are not important. I say they
are.
Those damn floating point rounding errors turned my perfectly legal model
into a model that gets bricks deleted every time you open it.

Try this series of steps below - lengthy, but could work.

1.  Remove all except the affected bricks and the bricks that directly
support them from your model file.

2.  You should then be left with this small section.  Either try exporting
it as a .ldr file or save it as a temporary .lxf file somewhere and then try
this next step.

3.  If you saved as .lxf rename the file and extract as a zip archive.  If
you didn't do that, open the .ldr file with NotePad, otherwise open the .lxf
file containing the model from the extracted zip archive.

4.  You should be left with a few dozen brick part file lines which describe
the file you've got at this point.  Remove from the file all of the floating
point data, rounding everything to the nearest whole number.  (NOTE:  Do NOT
truncate the numbers, manually round them up or down to the NEAREST whole
number.)

5.  Save this file in NotePad.  Then reverse whichever steps you followed
before, and convert it back to the .lxf file it came from, or save the
converted .ldr file and then reimport or reload the resulting file into LDD.

6.  If this successfully loads, reload the original model file, and remove
the parts which you used to create the temporary file above.  Then reimport
the section of your model you altered, and try to replace it where it
originally was in your model and try to resave and reload to see if that
fixes the problem.

If the above series of steps doesn't fix your model file problem it's
definitely a rounding error which the LDD designers should fix.

If it fixes the file please let me know the results.

Cheers ...

Geoffrey Hyde