 CAD / LDD / 228
Re: Can anyone get these parts to intersect at right angles in LDD?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ldd
Date:
Thu, 18 Jun 2009 15:04:48 GMT

Philippe Hurbain wrote:

So, can we have "LDD AFOL edition: now with 'turn the damn collisions
off' button!" ??

I have no true information here, but I believe this is simply impossible.
Collision detection is at the heart of LDD. No way to properly place
things if you cut it off.

Connection != collision.

I do think LDD could still know about studs and axles and ignore hulls.

On the other hand...

Geoffrey Hyde wrote:
If LDD lets me do that, beautiful!  I don't mind a gap or two, in fact
given it happens all the time in real models, I'd expect gaps.

Well, this is a CAD software, and I expect everything to be perfectly
aligned to a 1-LDU grid, dammit!

One of my issues with LDD is this model I made a while back for a
classic-space.com contest:

http://ivan.sanchezortega.es/lego/moonbase/lxf/starjustice_moonbase_greenhouse.lxf

There is a SNOTted 6x5x1 white wall panel which is removed due to a
collision. If you move away the surrounding windscreens and put everything
back into place, it'll look good. Until you save the file and open it
again. Try it.

You may say that smaller-than-1-LDU gaps are not important. I say they are.
Those damn floating point rounding errors turned my perfectly legal model
into a model that gets bricks deleted every time you open it.

--
Iván Sánchez Ortega -ivan-sanchezortega-es-

Cuando parece que ya nada puede ir peor, empeora.