 CAD / LDD / 223
Re: Can anyone get these parts to intersect at right angles in LDD?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ldd
Date:
Wed, 17 Jun 2009 14:05:14 GMT

In lugnet.cad.ldd, Geoffrey Hyde wrote:
From what I and a lurker here figured out in a few emails to each other,

That'd be me :-)

Using the "unzip the .lxf" technique explained here...

http://www.classic-space.com/plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?70511.post

... I managed to rotate and offset the bricks at will, so it's possible to
position them just right. It seems that offsetting the gears by 7.5mm and
1.1mm, they seem to fit just right.

However, I don't know if the coordinates of the bricks in the .lxfml file
are relative to the centre of the brick or what. Also, I don't know how
many LDUs of offset are neccesary to position the gears properly. Could
someone enlighten me?

Anyway, you can have a look at
http://ivan.sanchezortega.es/lego/wheels_right.lxf . It might be possible
to tweak that so the gears fit (or not).

it would appear that the problem is that LDD's collision engine is a bit
overzealous,

Ever tried to make a minifig hand hold a 2x2 round plate or a 1x1 tile?
Tried to SNOT a plate by holding it vertically between two rows of studs?
Wanted to hold a 1x1 round brick onto a technic brick?

I don't know - there are missing connections, and the collision engine can
be faulty. Floating point is overused ($DEITY bless LDUs), which leads to
bad calculations, which leads to removing SNOTted bricks from saved files.

Cheers,
--
Iván Sánchez Ortega -ivan-sanchezortega-es-

http://ivan.sanchezortega.es
Proudly running Debian Linux with 2.6.29-2-amd64 kernel, KDE 3.5.10, and PHP
5.2.9-4 generating this signature.
Uptime: 16:04:06 up 11 days,  9:26,  4 users,  load average: 2.42, 3.54,
3.93