 CAD / Development / Organizations / LDraw / 4770 (-20)
  Re: Forum shift

(...) Good to know! I love this place... Philo (14 years ago, 3-Nov-10, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Forum shift

(...) Hi all, this isn't an attempt to keep you staying here. I'd just like to confirm that it's still possible to get the $10-membership which allows you to keep you signed in (no auth emails). I keep track of new members and forgotten passwords, (...) (14 years ago, 3-Nov-10, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Forum shift

(...) Why can't that be fixed? Seems like it would solve part of the problem. (14 years ago, 2-Nov-10, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, FTX) !

  Re: Forum shift

(...) That's a fair request. I'll get in touch with our friendly system administrators. Play well, Jacob (14 years ago, 2-Nov-10, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, lugnet.general)

  Re: Forum shift

(...) People have been asking for change for years with no visible effort being put into this. I'm tired of waiting. Maybe you can try? -Orion (14 years ago, 2-Nov-10, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Forum shift

(...) The authentication emails have NOTHING whatsoever to do with NNTP. A properly configured NNTP server uses usernames and passwords for authentication. (And lazy b******s circumvent the authentication emails with an intelligent autoreplier.) So (...) (14 years ago, 2-Nov-10, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Forum shift

(...) No Allen, you can't become a member anymore. You can do the posting setup and "join" but unless you're a member you still have to put up with the authentication emails. -Orion (14 years ago, 1-Nov-10, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, FTX)

  Re: Forum shift

(...) Wow, I didn't know you could still actually join Lugnet. Somehow I'd gotten the impression that process had fallen into neglect before I started posting here. So I've been putting up with those authentication e-mails needlessly all these (...) (14 years ago, 29-Oct-10, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, FTX)

  Re: Forum shift

(...) Hi Anders, We've established this was just a difference in terminology - Scott was calling the "posting setup" a membership as well, which it sort-of is, but us anal geeks want everyone to use the terminology we're used to (that was used by (...) (14 years ago, 1-Nov-10, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Forum shift

(...) Except that, for most, the web interface is the way they use LUGNET. In addition, I use a separate email client and newsreader so I'm sure there are others like me. The bottom line is that I feel that the authentication emails are an undo (...) (14 years ago, 31-Oct-10, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Forum shift

(...) You remember totally wrong. Anyone, member of lugnet or not, can/could sign up for posting. The only difference is that 'real' (paying) members don't have to reply to the confirmation email for each post they do. Which isn't a hassle at all, (...) (14 years ago, 31-Oct-10, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Forum shift

(...) As I said, I agree. And you've re-highlighted something that is not obvious, and not easy to figure out for newbies - you do not have to be a member[1] to post, something which seems to be the norm on the vast majority of modern forum sites. (...) (14 years ago, 30-Oct-10, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Forum shift

(...) Ok, I like the discussion going on. I've setup a test forum on my own website. This won't be the final product by any means but I though I'd share what I've done. (URL) do things are theme as appropriate and figure out if I can link other (...) (14 years ago, 30-Oct-10, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Forum shift

(...) I think you just confirmed what I just said...after getting membership, you still can not post messages. You have to jump through another hoop (that is not obvious) with confirmation emails and the like. Call it two flavors of membership, or (...) (14 years ago, 30-Oct-10, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Forum shift

(...) I think you may be confused - as far as I know there has only ever been 1 flavour of membership (see (URL) And you do not have to be a member to post, you just need to go through the posting setup process (see (URL) I do agree that is a little (...) (14 years ago, 29-Oct-10, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Forum shift

(...) Do you really think that adding moderation to a dead forum will revive it? That's the equivalent of trying to bring someone back from a coma by reading them the ten commandments. I'd prefer to stay in the coma than return to that. Tim (14 years ago, 29-Oct-10, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, FTX)

  Re: Forum shift

(...) There are two types of memberships here...which is also very confusing! As I remember it was fairly easy to become a regular member, but that did not allow posting. A membership that allowed you to post was a different and more difficult (...) (14 years ago, 29-Oct-10, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Forum shift

(...) The gigantic advantage with Lugnet IMO is that I never have log in here to post, once I registred several yesrs ago. It may have been a pain then, I don't even remember... But of course, if I'm the only one to experience it this way, it (...) (14 years ago, 29-Oct-10, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Forum shift

(...) As I see it if we keep the discussion here we will be talking to an increasingly smaller pool of old LDraw users and neglecting the newer ones. I'm very much in support of this move. Tim (14 years ago, 29-Oct-10, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Forum shift

(...) Many people read lugnet regularly but few post. This is why the term "lurknet" was coined several year ago. Improving Lugnet's "ease of use" would increase posting activity here. An active team of site administrators and moderators (to post (...) (14 years ago, 29-Oct-10, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, FTX)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact