Re: Articles on ldraw.org out of date - I can help
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Mon, 21 May 2007 19:09:29 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Allen Smith wrote:
   Curiously enough, the tutorial cited (http://www.ldraw.org/Article102.html) recommends making the first submodel an empty model in order to “help in speeding up the upload time” for large models.

I think Curiously should be replaced with “Distressingly” or something similar. The official MPD tutorial on ldraw.org is telling people to do something that completely violates the MPD spec. If you follow those instructions, you’ll end up with completely blank output in L3P, LDView, and many (all?) other LDraw renderers.

If it weren’t for the fact that style info gets stripped when I edit stuff on ldraw.org, I’d edit the article to add a huge disclaimer to the end of that paragraph saying to ONLY do this while editing to speed up the editing process. And I’d add another paragraph to that section (ironically titled Common Mistakes) saying that not having the main model as the first MPD sub-file is a common mistake (which happens to be encouraged by the MLCAD MPD interface in my opinion) that causes incorrect rendering in other LDraw viewers.

--Travis