Re: Articles on ldraw.org out of date - I can help
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Thu, 3 May 2007 19:04:23 GMT

I was looking through some of the articles on ldraw.org and found
some to be out
of date or to have errors.  I'd be happy to help clean this up but
I don't know
what the process is to get access or to submit changes...?

For example http://www.ldraw.org/Article102.html has a long
process for creating
MPD files, whereas in newer versions of MLCAD you can just use the
Multipart
menu to do it in one step.

It does show the "easy" way as well:
http://www.ldraw.org/Article102.html#How_to_2

The reason the EASY way is not shown first is becuase users should
learn the
THEORY behind what they are doing rather than just learning how to
do it.

Eg.
You can use a calculator to do multiplication.  Yet your school
teacher first
showed you how to do it on paper the long way before allowing the
use of the
calculator for the longer multiplication problems.  Why?  Without a
solid
foundation you would be doomed to never understand why you got the
answer you
got on the calculator.

I hate to bring this up, but I've noticed some of the Mac related
questions I get may be because the tutorials are all MLCad specific.
Is it possible to include information on that page how to do it on
Mac with Bricksmith?

There is something wrong with the table on that webpage.  Using
Firefox or Safari on Mac, steps 7 to 13 are crammed into a small
column on the far right hand side of the screen leaving a large white
empty space.

Wiki is sounding VERY enticing at this point!

James