Subject:
Shortname and major focus of SteerCo (was Re: Steering Committee results
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Mon, 17 May 2004 13:07:51 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Peter Howkins wrote:

Whatever it's called could it be called something quickly, before
you reinforce every bad opinion I have about decisions made by
committee.

- We chose SteerCo as the short form, but we didn't think it was such a huge
topic that it warranted a special announcement, so we didn't make a special
announcement about it.

You have more important things to sort out such as a parts
library license.

- We are focused on licensing as the first major task after we get the
organizational stuff done. We are still working on internal organization stuff,
but it's only been 3 days so far, so we're doing good, I think.

My opinion is they should be placed in
the 'public domain',

- We are considering PD as one of the alternatives. It has some advantages and
some drawbacks. We're interested in input on the pros and cons of all the
various licensing schemes. How do you think parts authors will view PD? The
license scheme needs to encourage contribution of new/revised parts and enable
use.

it would allow for maximal uptake of
the library without 6 months of arguing about how to make
an ldraw specific legally binding license to accomplish the
same task.

- I'd prefer it not take 6 months or anywhere near that. (you'll recall it was a
campaign point of mine that this would get high focus early in my term if I was
elected) But I'd also rather not rush so much that we make a bad decision.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

++Lar