  Improving the Parts Tracker experience

(...) What changes/improvements would anyone like to see on the PT to make it easier to slog through the 1500 files currently out there? I'm open to any ideas at this point - reiterate old ideas, bring up new ones. But think about what pages, (...) (21 years ago, 11-Nov-03, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Improving the Parts Tracker experience

(...) Franklin suggested this one a while back: A 'Parts I Have Not Reviewed' page Some of my own: A filter for MyReviews that show only those parts initially submitted by the user. Allow users to edit the header of those parts they initially (...) (21 years ago, 12-Nov-03, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Improving the Parts Tracker experience

(...) "do not even consider to make the slightest change to this file - even if it got 5 hold-votes, hangs in the PT for more than 3 years and looks like an orphan!!!" ROFL - allowing authors to reply to a reviewers comment without the need to (...) (21 years ago, 12-Nov-03, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Improving the Parts Tracker experience

(...) ...[same as]... (...) Yes. (Heh, big surprise, my liking this one. ;) (...) That's good, too. (...) I like this. (...) Yes!! (...) Oh, [*BLEEP*], YES!! (Who do I have to kill to get this one? >;) Here's some more: An option that sorts all (...) (21 years ago, 12-Nov-03, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Improving the Parts Tracker experience

(...) This would be good, as long as it *does* show them when the file has been resubmitted and the votes deleted. (...) I like this one. (...) I like this too. (...) I think if anything, this should *show* them by default, with the option to *hide* (...) (21 years ago, 12-Nov-03, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Improving the Parts Tracker experience

(...) Willy, you can do this by a "novote" review of your own part. (21 years ago, 12-Nov-03, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Improving the Parts Tracker experience

(...) Orion, is this different from the "My Submits" page already there? (URL) (...) This is a good idea. Andy (21 years ago, 12-Nov-03, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, FTX)

  Re: Improving the Parts Tracker experience

(...) Assuming you have Reviewer priviledges. Not all PT users do. -Orion (21 years ago, 12-Nov-03, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Improving the Parts Tracker experience

(...) Yes. MySubmits lists all the parts for which you have any submit action. In other words if you submitted a fix to a already submitted file it is listed on MySubmits. May request would filter out any parts in which you did not post the inital (...) (21 years ago, 12-Nov-03, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Improving the PT

I thought of another one... In the "My Reviews" page, I want the option of seeing **just** my "no vote" (i.e., abstain) reviews. Every so often, I'll want to re-review these "null" votes, and possibly make a more useful determination on them (i.e., (...) (21 years ago, 12-Nov-03, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Improving the PT

Here's one more... Whenever I look at the "details" for a specific file, I want to see my reviews listed for all of the related files and/or required subfiles... For example: Required (unofficial) subfiles: xxx.dat 3 hold votes (you voted "hold") (...) (21 years ago, 12-Nov-03, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Improving the Parts Tracker experience

I would suggest that when you click on a part from the tracker list that it would open up in a new window so that the list would still be available in the other window. The list takes a long time to load and each time you go from a part back to the (...) (21 years ago, 13-Nov-03, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Improving the Parts Tracker experience

(...) Please, please, please don't do that. If users want to open the link in a new window (or even better, tabs), they can do it themselves - on modern browsers, middle clicking on a link usually does it. Otherwise, right click on the link, and (...) (21 years ago, 13-Nov-03, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Improving the Parts Tracker experience

(...) As a rare PT user, I agree. I despise pop-up navigation, or auto-launching of new windows. I should control that, not the page. -Tim (21 years ago, 13-Nov-03, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Improving the Parts Tracker experience

(...) thx orion for pointing this out. In fact I've got just submit-priviledges, never ever asked for a reviewer status and won't do it in the future ;-) w. (21 years ago, 13-Nov-03, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Improving the Parts Tracker experience

(...) Well, how about making it optional then? So the user can choose whether they want the part to be displayed in the same window or load in a different window. I usualy try and click them to load in a different window, but it is easy to forget (...) (21 years ago, 14-Nov-03, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Improving the Parts Tracker experience

(...) Or, as an alternative to right-clicking, you can also drag'n'drop part-links to a second browser window. Assuming you have enough space on your screen. For me, dragging tends to be easier to remember dragging than right-clicking. Steve (21 years ago, 14-Nov-03, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Improving the Parts Tracker experience

(...) But it *is* already optional (in most any browser): Right click and select 'open in new window'. -- Anders Isaksson, Sweden BlockCAD: (2 URLs) (21 years ago, 14-Nov-03, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Improving the Parts Tracker experience

(...) A couple more, with some overlap. - Add a checkbox to the submit & review pages, to flag an item as needing admin attention. - Add a function to send email to other PT users, without exposing other users addresses. Need this both as a stand (...) (21 years ago, 19-Nov-03, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Improving the Parts Tracker experience

(...) Actually this already exists in a modified form on the LDraw website. Since all the members of the PT are also members of the LDraw website the use of the Private Message system. The snag is that you have to visit the Main Ldraw site to see if (...) (21 years ago, 19-Nov-03, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Improving the Parts Tracker experience

(...) This would definitely be a move in the wrong direction, unless there also continued to be an option to continue to see the whole list on one page. Quite aside from the hassle of having to page through material, the Parts Tracker is where (...) (21 years ago, 19-Nov-03, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Improving the Parts Tracker experience

(...) How about a search function, similar to the one on PartsRef? Enter a term, and the search engine checks the file names, part names, CATEGORY statements, and KEYWORDS statements for matches. The current PT search function is file name only. (...) (21 years ago, 19-Nov-03, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Improving the Parts Tracker experience

(...) This already exists. It's called File Scan and is located on the PT Tools page. -Orion (21 years ago, 19-Nov-03, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Improving the Parts Tracker experience

(...) How'd I forget that? I've even used the Scan in the past. Certainly easier than the Find function of a web browser. Could we add the file scan to the toolbar, next to the lookup box? Or better (IMO), replace the file name lookup box with a (...) (21 years ago, 19-Nov-03, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Improving the Parts Tracker experience

(...) How'd I forget that? I've even used the Scan in the past. Certainly easier than the Find function of a web browser. Could we add the file scan to the toolbar, next to the lookup box? Or better (IMO), replace the file name lookup box with a (...) (21 years ago, 19-Nov-03, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Improving the Parts Tracker experience

(...) That is a definite snag. Any chance that function can be enhanced to include actual emailings? But still, there are times when direct messaging-links on the PT would be very handy. Steve (21 years ago, 20-Nov-03, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Improving the Parts Tracker experience

(...) Sorry, Orion, but I wouldn't use this. If I want to communicate privately with someone, I'll use e-mail. If I don't have his e-mail address, or if I want to post a public, LEGO-related message, I'll use LUGNet. FWIW, I already have ~100kb of (...) (21 years ago, 20-Nov-03, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Improving the PT

I thought of another one, something I *know* I've mentioned before (in various discussions w/ Steve, off-line as well as here on LUGNet)... If a primitive or subfile that has *already* been released (i.e., the file is an **OFFICIAL** file), you (...) (21 years ago, 21-Nov-03, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Improving the Parts Tracker experience

(...) Oooooooohhhhh... I *really* like this one... >;) (...) Interesting. (...) Make this an **option**, and I'd like it... (...) Yessssssss... Thanks, Franklin (21 years ago, 21-Nov-03, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Improving the PT

(...) I can see where you are coming from on this and do sympathise. If I were doing the coding, I'd have difficulty in justifying spending the time needed to add this extra level of complexity to the PT, when what we are seeing is a _relatively_ (...) (21 years ago, 21-Nov-03, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Improving the PT

(...) I disagree with this idea. Fixed parts can have subtle changes to them that may affect the parent part. In other words, part fixes are essentially new parts meant to replace the old parts. -Orion (21 years ago, 21-Nov-03, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  filtering the PT's queue ???

(...) Steve, What's the status on this? I've been trying to do some last-minute reviews (to help pad out the impending LCAD release ;) but I've reached the point of diminishing returns (many of the files listed in the queue are ones that I've (...) (21 years ago, 30-Nov-03, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: filtering the PT's queue ???

(...) This type of "integrate my data" request won't go anywhere until after we've changed the PT to use the general site's user authentication. We've got one outstanding issue with the pnauth.cgi test script, and that is your (Franklin's) (...) (21 years ago, 30-Nov-03, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)