Re: Improving the Parts Tracker experience
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Fri, 14 Nov 2003 00:54:29 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Tim Courtney wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Dan Boger wrote:
On Thu, Nov 13, 2003 at 03:28:15AM +0000, Mark Kennedy wrote:
I would suggest that when you click on a part from the tracker list
that it would open up in a new window so that the list would still be
available in the other window. The list takes a long time to load and
each time you go from a part back to the list the page has to be
reloaded. If each part opened up in a seperate window the list would
only have to loaded once.

Please, please, please don't do that.  If users want to open the link in
a new window (or even better, tabs), they can do it themselves - on
modern browsers, middle clicking on a link usually does it.  Otherwise,
right click on the link, and select "open in new window".

Forcing windows to pop up in new windows is just very very evil, except
in extreamly rare cases, which this is not :)

As a rare PT user, I agree. I despise pop-up navigation, or auto-launching of
new windows. I should control that, not the page.

-Tim

Well, how about making it optional then? So the user can choose whether they
want the part to be displayed in the same window or load in a different window.
I usualy try and click them to load in a different window, but it is easy to
forget sometimes and the list takes a LONG time to load. Alternately maybe the
list can be broken up into several smaller list of parts, subparts, and
primitives.