Subject:
Improving the Parts Tracker experience
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Tue, 11 Nov 2003 12:49:34 GMT

In another thread, Franklin wrote:
... the number of files on the Tracker is so high,
that it's becoming (*exponentially*) more difficult to track
which parts you've already reviewed, and which you want to
review.

What changes/improvements would anyone like to see on the PT to make it easier to
slog through the 1500 files currently out there?

I'm open to any ideas at this point - reiterate old ideas, bring up new ones.  But
think about what pages, options, functions you'd like the PT to give you.  I'm more
interested in ways the PT can work with the data it already has, rather than changing
the data (ie, adding more checkboxes and options and etc).  This is simply because
changing the presentation is lower-impact than changing the data.  But I am willing
to consider anything.

I'll start out with items that have been brought up recently:

- In the Queue, don't list files I've already reviewed.
- Provide a checkbox on the file submission page for authors to choose either "feel
free to make fixes to this file" or "please let me know if you find problems with
this file".
- Change the file status calculation, so that files go into "has uncertified
subfiles" status only after they have enough votes for admin review.
- Hide the certified and admin-review files from the parts list page (with an option
to show them).  Or move them to the bottom of the list, with 'hold' files.

Steve