Re: [Parts Tracker] More BFC Primitives
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Thu, 11 Apr 2002 21:00:48 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Steve Bliss writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Kyle McDonald wrote:

I didn't think I had them 'undoing' in the first example. I'm
confused now :(

Sorry, I must have been reading more into your example than you
intended.

Non-inverting mirroring? Do you mean mirroring where the author doesn't
*intend* inverting? or are you saying it's possible to create a matrix
that would mirror without inverting?

It's the former: the author intends to make a reflected object, but not
an inverted object.

Again if
I understand correctly, you would *not* want the 0 BFC INVERTNEXT command
here, instead having the program notice the matrix, and flip the faces
back automatically. While I aggree this probably isn't much of a performance
hit, it seems backwards to me. The part's author (I would think) knows
wether the mirroring/inversion effect is desired. It probably doesn't
slow the software down that much to check these things, but it seems to
me it will add lines of code, program complexity and opportunities for bugs,
that the opposite way could avoid. Maybe I'm just a stickler for 'Keep It
Simple Stupid.'

It depends on who (or what) you want to keep things simple *for*.  I'd
prefer to keep things simple (and flexible) for the part authors, rather
than for the rendering programs.

Despite being the author of a rendering program, I agree with this
whole-heartedly.  Each rendering program only has to get it right once,
during the initial coding.  If we make it easier for the program, but harder
for part authors, the part authors have to get it right for every single
part made.  In addition to that, there are likely more part authors than
rendering program authors, so more people have to be educated.

Based on Kyle's comments, I think he believes that his proposed change would
have a minimal impact on part authors.  This may or may not be the case; not
being a part author, I don't feel myself qualified to judge.  However, it
sounds like Steve (who is a part author) feels it would make part authoring
more difficult.

--Travis Cobbs (tcobbs@REMOVE.halibut.com)