Re: Parts as volumes (instead of surfaces)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Thu, 11 Apr 2002 15:09:36 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Steve Bliss writes:

My point was, marking up the LDraw part files for volume decomposition
would either:

a) Be low-effort, but result in very inefficient decompositions
b) Be high-effort, and give efficient volumes, but would essentially be
a separate definition of the parts (ie, it would not be based on the
existing lines and polygons).

"marking up" would be better done by machine algorithm, and would encompass
the Connection Point proposal at the same time. It would indeed yield a
separate definition of the parts.

A lot of high-end CAD programs read polygons (like we have) and cleverly
construct solids. These programs buy their solids-based engine wholesale
(IGES for one.)