Re: Parts as volumes (instead of surfaces)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Thu, 11 Apr 2002 14:02:16 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Damien Guichard wrote:

Thanks to Eric Olson for more precision: he used bounding boxes, not collisions.

Maybe I'm missing a technical distinction, but it seems he used bounding
boxes *for* collision detection, as opposed to using exact volumes.

Also I still think, whereas higher order convex volumes as cubes much
simplify decomposition, you can not remove tetrahedron for hill cases.
Because it the most atomic volume and can not be built using cubes.

True.

My point was, marking up the LDraw part files for volume decomposition
would either:

a) Be low-effort, but result in very inefficient decompositions
b) Be high-effort, and give efficient volumes, but would essentially be
a separate definition of the parts (ie, it would not be based on the
existing lines and polygons).

Steve