Re: [Parts Tracker] More BFC Primitives
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Tue, 9 Apr 2002 15:32:27 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Kyle McDonald wrote:

I didn't think I had them 'undoing' in the first example. I'm
confused now :(

Sorry, I must have been reading more into your example than you
intended.

Non-inverting mirroring? Do you mean mirroring where the author doesn't
*intend* inverting? or are you saying it's possible to create a matrix
that would mirror without inverting?

It's the former: the author intends to make a reflected object, but not
an inverted object.

Again if
I understand correctly, you would *not* want the 0 BFC INVERTNEXT command
here, instead having the program notice the matrix, and flip the faces
back automatically. While I aggree this probably isn't much of a performance
hit, it seems backwards to me. The part's author (I would think) knows
wether the mirroring/inversion effect is desired. It probably doesn't
slow the software down that much to check these things, but it seems to
me it will add lines of code, program complexity and opportunities for bugs,
that the opposite way could avoid. Maybe I'm just a stickler for 'Keep It
Simple Stupid.'

It depends on who (or what) you want to keep things simple *for*.  I'd
prefer to keep things simple (and flexible) for the part authors, rather
than for the rendering programs.

Like I said before, I'm new to alot of this. Is there something big I'm
missing here?

I don't think you're missing anything, except maybe some experience
working with the part files, and writing parts and such.

Steve