Re: [Parts Tracker] More BFC Primitives
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Thu, 11 Apr 2002 21:35:03 GMT

Hi Travis,

Travis Cobbs wrote:

Despite being the author of a rendering program, I agree with this
whole-heartedly.  Each rendering program only has to get it right once,
during the initial coding.  If we make it easier for the program, but harder
for part authors, the part authors have to get it right for every single
part made.  In addition to that, there are likely more part authors than
rendering program authors, so more people have to be educated.

Based on Kyle's comments, I think he believes that his proposed change would
have a minimal impact on part authors.  This may or may not be the case; not
being a part author, I don't feel myself qualified to judge.  However, it
sounds like Steve (who is a part author) feels it would make part authoring
more difficult.

Well I don't know that I thought it would be 'minimal' effort. I'll
bet it would be a lot of work for parts that are already done. I
did think that it wouldn't be that bad for new parts, because I
figured the author knows best what he/she want when he writes the
line in the part file. But as I'm not a parts author either, I
could very well be wrong there.

I aggree that we should make life easy for the parts authors. We
need as many parts as we can get ;) It's just my in my nature to
try to (as much as possible) compute things once and save the result
instead of computing the same thing over and over.

Did anyone look at the pseudo code I sent in one message?
See any errors in my logic??

-Kyle

--Travis Cobbs (tcobbs@REMOVE.halibut.com)

--