Re: Technic MOTM needs a new name.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Mon, 4 Mar 2002 05:01:27 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Tim Courtney writes:
In lugnet.technic, Dan Boger writes:
In lugnet.technic, Tobbe Arnesson wrote:

[snip]

Tim,

Did you actually talk to the other guys of ldraw.org before trying to
use the name to bully Tobbe? I mean, ldraw.org isn't your personal
site, is it?
Is there a committee that makes these decisions, or do
you come up with these things on your own? I think the Technic MOTM is
a great thing, and I think it's wrong you're trying to pretend it's an
ldraw trademark... Especially that, at least in my case, when I see
MOTM I do _not_ think of ldraw at all!

"I'd like to intoduce the Peeron LEGO Guide, a brand new web site, not at
all to be confused with the Boger's guide in any way...after all, it's just
a name, right? Certainly they won't have a problem with folks being confused
about where there content is versus where my content is!"

It's not a trademark...it's consideration for fellow community members.

I take sole responsibility.  I do not see why anyone is so upset about it -
I wrote a respectful request and an explanation, did not back it up with any
threat of action.  Hindsight is 20/20, and I SHOULD have run it by Steve and
Terry before doing anything.

And lets not forget that Tim DID send an e-mail, not a public post. This
could have been a private conversation, instead of a public argument.
Further, it is generally considered bad net manners to disclose e-mail in a
public setting.

<snip>

If there's going to be a discussion about this, instead of dragging my name
all over the dirt, why not channel energy into creating a formal LDraw
organization and have something positive, not destructive, come out of this.

Hear, hear...

Matt