 Off-Topic / Debate / 15927
Re: Technic MOTM needs a new name.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 5 Mar 2002 13:16:16 GMT

There is no doubt for me, that at this point it has turned into a mess. I
can't say that I know Tim's methodology or motivations for doing anything.
Nor do I believe that he is apt to "Bully" anyone. I do know that having
contact with Tim over the years that he is passionate about his interests.
If that is his only "crime" (passion), then I think that it not as bad as it
seems. I've known you (Dan) and Tim for quite some time, and I think in this
case most of this disagreement should go off-line. It's not really good for
the community at large (IMHO). If nothing else, like Tim has suggested, we
might be able to channel this energy into something productive, instead of
destructive. At least let us move this to where it really belongs;
off-topic.debate, because that's really what it is/has become.

Tobbe, I'm sorry that you felt that you had to bring it here to Lugnet. I
would have hoped that you two could have garnered communication that would
have been mutually beneficial to both you and the LDraw community.

I think the entire point is that it *is* bad nettiquette to bring personal
e-mail to someplace like LUGNET. I hope that no one misunderstands me; I'm
not attacking Tobbe directly. It is just my belief that it is best to do
these thing in a different forum. I believe that if Tobbe had concerns that
he was being "Bullied," there may have been a better way to present that
perspective, just as there may have been a better approach exercised by Tim
about the content of his request. At this point though, what is done, is
done. We can't take it back now. I'm only hoping that the community at large
can learn and grow and make our community stronger.

Rich

--
Have Fun! C-Ya!

Legoman34

*****
Legoman34 (Richard W. Schamus)... (My views do not necessarily express the
views of my employer...)

BRICKFEST 2002 IS JUST AROUND THE CORNER... START MAKING PLANS TODAY.

Card carrying LUGNET MEMBER: #70
Visit http://www.geocities.com/legoman34.geo/
...(the wait is over...)
..."The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself." ...
*****

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Dan Boger writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Matthew Gerber wrote:
"I'd like to intoduce the Peeron LEGO Guide, a brand new web site, not
at all to be confused with the Boger's guide in any way...after all,
it's just a name, right? Certainly they won't have a problem with
folks being confused about where there content is versus where my
content is!"

It's not a trademark...it's consideration for fellow community
members.

you missed my point. my point is that Tim doesn't get to assert
trademarks of ldraw on his own. nevermind that MOTM isn't LDRAW - your
example is off. More like you came out saying "I'm introducing the
randome piece of the day!", and me saying "we've been doing that for
more than a year now!". But like I said, that's not the point.

And lets not forget that Tim DID send an e-mail, not a public post.
This could have been a private conversation, instead of a public
argument. Further, it is generally considered bad net manners to
disclose e-mail in a public setting.

true, but has nothing to do with the issue.

Dan.