Re: Technic MOTM needs a new name.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Mon, 4 Mar 2002 04:47:45 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Dan Boger writes:
In lugnet.technic, Tobbe Arnesson wrote:

[snip]

Tim,

Did you actually talk to the other guys of ldraw.org before trying to
use the name to bully Tobbe? I mean, ldraw.org isn't your personal
site, is it? Is there a committee that makes these decisions, or do
you come up with these things on your own? I think the Technic MOTM is
a great thing, and I think it's wrong you're trying to pretend it's an
ldraw trademark... Especially that, at least in my case, when I see
MOTM I do _not_ think of ldraw at all!

I take sole responsibility.  I do not see why anyone is so upset about it -
I wrote a respectful request and an explanation, did not back it up with any
threat of action.  Hindsight is 20/20, and I SHOULD have run it by Steve and
Terry before doing anything.

I'm just curious at the process behind this bullying, and who was part
of this fiasco.

I don't see it as bullying.  I was not rude in the least from what I can see
in my email message, and I didn't threaten.  I simply asked something of
someone, and explained why I was asking it with reason.

If its that big of a deal, I'm sorry I did it.  I just don't see it as that
big of a deal.

If ANYTHING we can learn about this, is LDraw.org needs a formal system of
authority and a formal organization.  If you want to be technical about it,
no one can make any decision 'in the name of LDraw.org,' not a website
policy, not a demonstration at an event, not a parts update, etc.  Our
'authority' is assumed with the permission of the owners of the file format
and the community of users.

And that has been the top thing on my LDraw to-do list as of recently.

Dan, who doesn't believe that the end justifies the means.

I still don't see why this is a huge issue.  It was my fault for not
consulting others first, and I admit I was wrong in that respect.  I
wouldn't pin the word 'fiasco' on it though.

If there's going to be a discussion about this, instead of dragging my name
all over the dirt, why not channel energy into creating a formal LDraw
organization and have something positive, not destructive, come out of this.

-Tim