 CAD / Development / Macintosh / 985
Re: Making the DAT links work in safari.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.mac
Date:
Fri, 23 May 2008 15:35:18 GMT

Don Heyse wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev.mac, Christopher Masi wrote:

[...]

Hi Chris, it's like swiss cheese, [...]

Mmmm... I like swiss cheese too

So, I guess I'm suggesting a switch to a Mozilla based browser that will
allow you to specify what the browser should do when presented with
new/unknown mime types. Safari just isn't equipped to hand it
gracefully, which is too bad really :(

By the way, I did bring this up a few years ago when you and I used to
talk about LDGLite more, Don :)

Yeah I remember, but now I actually have a junky used Mac of my own to
play with, so I want to learn as much as I can before it dies.  I was
sorta assuming Mozilla still worked and was trying to see what I could
squeeze out of Sarari, since it comes with OS-X and seems to work pretty
well otherwise.

Oops sorry. I shouldn't have assumed that you forgot those
conversations. It would be cool if you could get Safari to do it.

I still have to experiment with LSRiskCategroyNeutral
and maybe a wrapper plugin to see if those options provide better
security control than the blanket "Give me everything Safe" setting.

I'm not sure how Safari handles plugins, but if it could automatically
launch an ldraw viewer from a plugin without the blanket unsafe setting
that'd be a reasonably secure option, right?

It would allow the user to select which things to be secure/insecure
about to gain the feature the user wants instead opening up several
potential vectors just to get one feature.

Anyhow, Safari plugins are on the backburner because right now I'm
trying to sort how to work around the bugs in LaunchServices.  It's a
cool idea; letting the individual apps each stake a claim to the file
types in their own individual info.plist files.  That way the apps can
be self contained and portable.  But judging from my (recent)
experiences and the numerous bug reports on the internet, it doesn't
seem to work so well in the real world.  So far, I've been unable to
shake L3Lab from it's unholy grip on my .dat files. :^)

Hmmm... the strange thing here is that I can set Bricksmith or Mac Brick
CAD as the default to open all dat/ldr/mpd files and the setting sticks.
However, when I try to set LDGLite as the default the setting reverts to
  L3Lab. Perhaps it has something to do with the these apps interact
with the OS. MBC and Bricksmith were built from the ground up as Mac
applications whereas, LDGLite and L3Lab weren't. Is it possible that
L3Lab took over that Linux-y environment when it was installed? You can
tell I have no idea what I'm talking about, can't you :)

Enjoy,

Don

Thanks, I will.

Chris