 CAD / Development / Macintosh / 978
Re: Making the DAT links work in safari.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.mac
Date:
Thu, 15 May 2008 15:09:07 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.mac, Jim DeVona wrote:
http://ldraw.org/Article46.html

This documents a bunch of mime types, but I could swear the only one
ever used is application/x-ldraw.  I'm pretty sure it works for mpd
files as well as ordinary dat files, but maybe the file has to have
a .dat extension?

Can't the user just use "Get Info" to assign an application of their
choice to open files of a certain type? Reasonable defaults are
important, of course. I'm trying to reproduce the problem Don describes
but I'm not exactly sure what is expected to happen.

I'll have to look into "Get Info".  Being new to the Mac, I don't know
what it means.  My problem was that I could make a bundle for
ldglite (or whatever) that makes it open the file in my app when you
double click on a local file.  However I could only get safari to dump
the DAT file on the desktop when I clicked on the DAT links.  Is
"Get Info" is a way to set the Safari Risk settings preference file
through the Mac GUI?  Anyhow, with the safe settings I can Safari
still dumps the DAT file on the desktop, but now it also automatically
opens it in ldglite for viewing.  Not quit as nice as the Windows
setup, but getting much closer.

Incidentally, it's kind of weird that the DAT files for the parts
contest just contain references to separate files you might have to
grab from the part tracker. LDView makes that easy enough, but I'm
curious why a link to the actual part is not provided on the contest
page.

I couldn't get back to those links once I voted, so can't really
comment, except to say the note about it on that page is why I
started thinking about getting LDView working with web DAT links.

Do you have that working already?

Don