 CAD / Development / Macintosh / 974
973  |  975
Subject:
Making the DAT links work in safari.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.mac
Date:
Thu, 15 May 2008 04:14:14 GMT

So the other day I was browsing the Most Desired Part entries on
ldraw.org with my junky used eMac and I noticed a new curved slope
that doesn't seem to have the tiger striping problem.  Naturally
I wanted to see how it was done.  But no, I'm on a Mac, and we
never quite got Safari to work with the DAT links.  Dang it!

Well now that I've got a mac to play with I can try it myself, so
it's off to google to search for ideas.  Turns out we have to
declare our ldraw MIME type safe for Safari to open it up in
an ldraw viewer when you click on it.  So, just add this to your
~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.DownloadAssessment.plist file
(or make a new one if it doesn't exist yet) and ldraw content will
be on the safe list the next time you boot up.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN"
"http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>LSRiskCategorySafe</key>
  <dict>
   <key>LSRiskCategoryExtensions</key>
    <array>
     <string>LDR</string>
     <string>ldr</string>
     <string>MPD</string>
     <string>mpd</string>
     <string>DAT</string>
     <string>dat</string>
    </array>
   <key>LSRiskCategoryMIMETypes</key>
    <array>
     <string>application/x-ldraw</string>
    </array>
   </dict>
</dict>
</plist>

Oh, You also have to check the "Open safe files after downloading"
General Preference setting in the File menu of Safari.

Err, so how soon can we get this for the Mac version of LDView?
Actually tomorrow, or maybe this weekend I'll try pasting the MIME
type goodies from the ldglite Info.plist into the LDView Info.plist
and see if that's all it takes.

Have Fun,

Don