 CAD / Development / Macintosh / 38
  Re: OS 8.6

(...) OK. Are you basically saying we shouldn't try to get ldglite to work on Mac OS 8/9 and instead focus on BrickDraw3D? That is fine with me. I know Don wants his application to work on as much platforms as possible, but he has also said that it (...) (23 years ago, 11-Feb-02, to lugnet.cad.dev.mac)

  Re: OS 8.6

(...) James, I read Erik's post three times and I see nothing in it about putting effort towards one app vs another. His focus was on his efforts with BrickDraw3D and OS X. Please read it again. We have enough to do here (technically) as it is. I (...) (23 years ago, 11-Feb-02, to lugnet.cad.dev.mac)

  Re: OS 8.6

I was only referring to my own priorities. Everybody else's priorities are their own. However the lesson is the same. Your efforts would be better concentrated on making one thing. Supporting other OS versions is a big hassle. Especially dinosaurs (...) (23 years ago, 11-Feb-02, to lugnet.cad.dev.mac)

  Re: OS 8.6

This discussion has got fairly chaotic, and it is clear that different people want different things from the project. I have noticed at least four programs suggested: 1. An LDraw program for MacOS 9 and earlier. This is probably best developed from (...) (23 years ago, 11-Feb-02, to lugnet.cad.dev.mac)

  Re: OS 8.6

(...) Oh, I misunderstood you. Is there anything that we can do to help with BrickDraw3d? James (23 years ago, 11-Feb-02, to lugnet.cad.dev.mac)

  Re: OS 8.6

(...) <snip> OK, help me to understand. Does "the project" preclude LDGLite for "8.6, 9" ? Is there some reason that makes this not desirable ? (available resources is the only one that comes to my mind) Likewise, is there a reason that we would (...) (23 years ago, 11-Feb-02, to lugnet.cad.dev.mac)

  Re: OS 8.6

(...) Yes, you guys need a plan of action. You're making progress, but you're flying off in all directions. I think your first step should be to write a document for ldraw.org that details how to set up the parts library from the linux parts (...) (23 years ago, 11-Feb-02, to lugnet.cad.dev.mac)

  Re: OS 8.6

Hi Don, OS X is great for Unix-style development. I use it at work for that. However there isn't a decent debugger (gdb doesn't count.) Nor are there memory-bounds checker tools or any of the other niceties we take for granted elsewhere. CodeWarrior (...) (23 years ago, 11-Feb-02, to lugnet.cad.dev.mac)

  Re: OS 8.6

In lugnet.cad.dev.mac, Don Heyse writes: <snip> (...) As a long time owner, user and developer of mac software, it is my opinion that OS X should not be an exclusive goal. In my mind the goals should be 8.6, 9.x and X. Becuase of some of the (...) (23 years ago, 11-Feb-02, to lugnet.cad.dev.mac)

  Re: OS 8.6

My classification into 5 possibilities was only meant to be an overview of what had been suggested so far, so that people could say what they were interested in. Personally I think there should be several programs, with separate code bases, and this (...) (23 years ago, 11-Feb-02, to lugnet.cad.dev.mac)

  More on BrickDraw3D OO design

I had to close that post before I could mention where all that discussion was going. Briefly, I have been trying from the start to design BrickDraw3D's C++ classes to separate geometry and graphics from the application framework (in this case (...) (23 years ago, 11-Feb-02, to lugnet.cad.dev.mac)

  Re: OS 8.6

(...) I have been suggesting some directions hoping others would pick one up that they liked. Most of the directions were suggested to me by developers who I haven't heard from since they suggested the idea, so I am just assuming they have lost (...) (23 years ago, 12-Feb-02, to lugnet.cad.dev.mac)