 CAD / Development / 9622 (-40)
  Clikit file naming

I have just uploaded to the Parts Tracker three potentially useful Clikit parts. All part names are temporary. The female/female (ring) connector (URL) male/male (bead) connector (URL) possibly useful female/female connector (URL) make use of a (...) (21 years ago, 15-Mar-04, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LDRAWPREDIRS LDRAWPOSTDIRS - Summary please!

(...) [testing...] WinXP with NTFS does not let you use < or > in filenames when renaming a file. You could probably generate such a name in plain old DOS - not from the command line interface, but by calling the file operations from a program. At (...) (21 years ago, 15-Mar-04, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LDRAWPREDIRS LDRAWPOSTDIRS - Summary please!

(...) Most *nix file systems allow those characters in filenames - just enclose them in quotes. Dunno about Windows. I just tried it on NT and it didn't like it, but I didn't try very hard. ROSCO (21 years ago, 15-Mar-04, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LDRAWPREDIRS LDRAWPOSTDIRS - Summary please!

(...) They could be encoded. This is how Mac OS X pref files are encoded: <sometag>/Path/&gt;&...</sometag> (21 years ago, 15-Mar-04, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LDRAWPREDIRS LDRAWPOSTDIRS - Summary please!

(...) Ok, you're starting to catch on to the versatility of extra tags, but don't stop at just one more tag at the end of the line. Allow as many as the user wants. I think <Unofficial> and <Parts> should be separate tags. Just like I know you want (...) (21 years ago, 15-Mar-04, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LDRAWPREDIRS LDRAWPOSTDIRS - Summary please!

  Re: LDRAWPREDIRS LDRAWPOSTDIRS - Summary please!

(...) Ah, but we've already covered this ground. In addition to the registry functions, there are also Windows functions for reading and writing to INI files in the format with the = sign. Search in this thread for getprivateprofilestring and/or (...) (21 years ago, 15-Mar-04, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LDRAWPREDIRS LDRAWPOSTDIRS - Summary please!

I tend to agree on both points. I would like to point out that primitives is mis-spelled in the example. Let's make sure that the official way has the correct spelling ;-). --Travis Cobbs (21 years ago, 14-Mar-04, to lugnet.cad.dev)

"Travis Cobbs" <tcobbs@REMOVE.halibut.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:HuG3s7.qDu@lugnet.com... <SNIP> (...) it out (...) appear in (...) data (...) numbers (...) responded. (...) the (...) the (...) Easier ? Hmmm - when you read from a file its (...) (21 years ago, 14-Mar-04, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LDRAWPREDIRS LDRAWPOSTDIRS - Summary please!

"Kim Toll" <kim.toll@intel.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:HuHvvE.w2t@lugnet.com... <SNIP> (...) base (...) indicates (...) let them (...) with (...) view. (...) the (...) official (...) models and (...) This is a good idea, theoretically we can (...) (21 years ago, 14-Mar-04, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Web-based LDraw viewing

(...) Not to bash Antonio's work but it's an ActixeX control and requires me to put his site on my secure sites list. Nothing personal but I don't trust him enough to do that. If it was an applet, this problem wouldn't exist. -Orion (21 years ago, 14-Mar-04, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Web-based LDraw viewing

Antonio Cortes Carrillo has already created a very fine online Ldraw file viewer. Check out the message below. (URL) quite surprising that it has not gained the popularity it deserves. (21 years ago, 14-Mar-04, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  SVG (was Re: Web-based LDraw viewing)

  Re: Web-based LDraw viewing

(...) A while back, I wrote for my own amusement a perl program which will take a patterned part, and will produce an SVG file of the pattern. I've been thinking about forwarding it to the LDraw.org team, so they could include it with the parts (...) (21 years ago, 14-Mar-04, to lugnet.cad.dev, FTX)

  Re: Web-based LDraw viewing

(...) Anybody who is interested in a Java and 3D should also check out the Art of Illusion program at (URL). It is open source (GPL) and has I/O plug-ins to support reading and writing different graphics file formats. -Wayne (21 years ago, 14-Mar-04, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Web-based LDraw viewing

(...) MLCad great for editing but slows down significantly with large files. The only currently released program that even approches web acceptible speeds is L3Lab (although LDView isn't far behind). I just did a little search on SourceForge and (...) (21 years ago, 13-Mar-04, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Web-based LDraw viewing

(...) Yes, I agree, however you expect larger files to take longer. I would tend towards a low-quality image, as it's targetted at screen viewing, that would speed things up a little. I think Michael's MLcad renderer is fairly fast, a Java version (...) (21 years ago, 13-Mar-04, to lugnet.cad.dev, FTX)

  Re: Web-based LDraw viewing

(...) Java is probably the best route for realtime model rendering on the web. The challenge would be to write a rendering engine that quickly processes large model files (as opposed to most current renderers which take a while if the part count is (...) (21 years ago, 13-Mar-04, to lugnet.cad.dev, FTX)

  Re: Web-based LDraw viewing

How about .SVG ? (21 years ago, 13-Mar-04, to lugnet.cad.dev, FTX)

  Web-based LDraw viewing

Today I was thinking about the complications of LeoCAD/MLCAD and how hard it is sometimes for a group or people to easily deal with CAD files in a project. If one person creates a CAD of something, they either have to email it to everyone who's (...) (21 years ago, 13-Mar-04, to lugnet.cad.dev, FTX)

  Possible task for new LDraw author - early baseplates

Hi To some extent the growth of the LDraw parts library is limited by the fact that all the "easy" parts have already been created. This means that many new authors face a steep learning curve if they start with a complex part. But there is one area (...) (21 years ago, 13-Mar-04, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: surface normals and vertex normals for OpenGL

(...) With the use of a point hash table, it should be possible to do all of the analysis in linear time proprotional to the number of points in the object. So, I guess I disagree with you. Not that it particularly matters, until somebody actually (...) (21 years ago, 13-Mar-04, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LDRAWPREDIRS LDRAWPOSTDIRS - Summary please!

(...) [snip] (...) OK, so I'm a new guy in the ldraw dev community, but I figured if I don't say something now it'll never get considered. So please go gently on me. I don't know the full protocol you guys use to come up with these standers. But (...) (21 years ago, 13-Mar-04, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: surface normals and vertex normals for OpenGL

I won't argue with your clarification, but I will point out that it would be more difficult for a renderer to perform this feat, particularly one that is designed as a real-time renderer, and therefore presumably has rather serious limitations on (...) (21 years ago, 12-Mar-04, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LDRAWPREDIRS LDRAWPOSTDIRS - Summary please!

(...) The desire was to preserve standard Windows INI file formatting, and each data line in an INI file has the form <key> = <value> (spaces optional). The numbers were suggested as keys, with positive responses from the people that responded. As a (...) (21 years ago, 12-Mar-04, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: surface normals and vertex normals for OpenGL

I'm working on just such a utility right now. I hope to have some beta code in a few days : ) (...) (21 years ago, 11-Mar-04, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LDRAWPREDIRS LDRAWPOSTDIRS - Summary please!

(...) Currently my code doesn't expect all the spaces above, but I'm open to that. The LDrawSetup program that I'm also writing at the same time can not preserve the spaces if you add or delete options, so it will ruin any nice table formatting you (...) (21 years ago, 11-Mar-04, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LDRAWPREDIRS LDRAWPOSTDIRS - Summary please!

(...) If it is just a sequential number, wouldn't it be easier to just leave it out altogether, and say the directories will be searched in the order they appear in the file? ROSCO (21 years ago, 11-Mar-04, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LDRAWPREDIRS LDRAWPOSTDIRS - additional search paths

(...) Exactly. That's what the <CLONE>, <KNEX>, <BOXES> etc. tags I mentioned previously were for. We could work out later whether these are user defined or LSC defined tags. The important part for now would be to agree that <SKIP> means ignore the (...) (21 years ago, 11-Mar-04, to lugnet.cad.dev)

"Tore Eriksson" <tore.eriksson@mbox3...wipnet.se> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:HuDDv0.1KDF@lugnet.com... (...) to (...) most (...) lead to? (...) Ok I try and hope that I do not forget something here, all others please correct me if i'm wrong - but (...) (21 years ago, 11-Mar-04, to lugnet.cad.dev)

"Don Heyse" <dheyse@hotmail.spam....away.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:HuD629.DxI@lugnet.com... <SNIP> (...) Ok now I understand, might be a nice idea. The drawback is that it would "only" allow one alternate part enabling not more. I can already (...) (21 years ago, 11-Mar-04, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: surface normals and vertex normals for OpenGL

(...) All: It is dangerous to write technical arguments at 1:30 in the morning, and I made some serious mistakes in my post above. 1) You are correct that most LDRAW parts are not closed and probably never will be. Optimizing for ease of part (...) (21 years ago, 11-Mar-04, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LDRAWPREDIRS LDRAWPOSTDIRS - Summary please!

(...) I took the time to read all the posts, and I still would like a summary. It seems like the discussion has converged to conclusion, but I'd like to see the conclusion written up. I know that Lars is writing up code to match the conclusion, but (...) (21 years ago, 11-Mar-04, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: surface normals and vertex normals for OpenGL

(...) I don't know about that goal. I think it's better to make it easy to assemble the various primitives into parts. That way we get more people volunteering to make the parts. I don't think the primitives *can* be closed. I also think it's much (...) (21 years ago, 11-Mar-04, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: surface normals and vertex normals for OpenGL

(...) [snip] (...) [snip] (...) It is neither impossible nor particularly hard. I will snip the rest of the post here and explain. There is an interesting property of closed surfaces that can allow you to determine the normals for all polygons (or (...) (21 years ago, 11-Mar-04, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Name discussion for 40244.dat

This part has been named "Axle for Spiral Staircase" on the Parts Tracker, but needs some wider discussion on the name and orientation. (URL) To my mind it is a Technic Pin Joiner, not disimilar to (URL) just a different length (or height depending (...) (21 years ago, 10-Mar-04, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  LDRAWPREDIRS LDRAWPOSTDIRS - Summary please!

86 messages have been posted in this thread so far. I don't have a chance to catch up what has been discussed by reading all posts. Is it possible to make a brief and relatively easy-to-read summary of the most significant suggestions, and what (...) (21 years ago, 10-Mar-04, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LDRAWPREDIRS LDRAWPOSTDIRS - additional search paths

(...) Hmmm, I must've put myself to sleep as well. Actually, I've been a bit busy lately. Now what was I trying to say... I guess I was thinking that a <SKIP> tag might be a third choice between <HIDE> and <SHOW>, but after a few days I now think it (...) (21 years ago, 10-Mar-04, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: surface normals and vertex normals for OpenGL

(...) <SNIP> (...) That does help a lot. Thanks much. Brian Durney (21 years ago, 9-Mar-04, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LDRAWPREDIRS LDRAWPOSTDIRS - additional search paths

(...) Ok, so maybe there was a bit of irony, considering Mac OS X's roots are much older than 9's. But the lack of pre-emptive multiprocessing, protected memory, and other more evolved stuff does make OS 9 a dinosaur. Apple's washed their hands of (...) (21 years ago, 9-Mar-04, to lugnet.cad.dev)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact