 CAD / Development / 9607
Re: Web-based LDraw viewing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sat, 13 Mar 2004 23:22:32 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Ross Crawford wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Orion Pobursky wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Mike Thorn wrote:

The unfortunate thing is that I'm not a very high-tech programmer; I can do
HTML and some CSS and PHP, but I get lost with C/C++/Java/etc. I'm not
entirely sure how easy it would be to build something like this (or whether
it's even possible). So...guess where my first stop is. Bingo.

Thoughts, comments?

-Mike

Java is probably the best route for realtime model rendering on the web.
The challenge would be to write a rendering engine that quickly processes
large model files (as opposed to most current renderers which take a while
if the part count is large).

Yes, I agree, however you expect larger files to take longer. I would tend
towards a low-quality image, as it's targetted at screen viewing, that would
speed things up a little. I think Michael's MLcad renderer is fairly fast, a
Java version of that might get reasonable speed, and I think would be good
enough quality for such a tool.

MLCad great for editing but slows down significantly with large files.  The only
currently released program that even approches web acceptible speeds is L3Lab
(although LDView isn't far behind).

I just did a little search on SourceForge and came up with this:
http://jlug.sourceforge.net/

It's not an applet but it's in Java.  I'm not sure how hard it would be to
convert.

-Orion