 CAD / Development / 9640
Re: Web-based LDraw viewing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sun, 21 Mar 2004 22:54:51 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Andrew Westrate wrote:
   In lugnet.cad.dev, Michael Horvath wrote:
   How about .SVG ?

A while back, I wrote for my own amusement a perl program which will take a patterned part, and will produce an SVG file of the pattern. I’ve been thinking about forwarding it to the LDraw.org team, so they could include it with the parts tracker, or the official library, but right now, it still needs some work.

However, for regular 3-d rendering like MLCAD, LDView, et al, I don’t think SVG is a very good option. You’d probably end up with fairly massive files, which would both take a long time to download, and be slow to render in the SVG viewer.

Andy

Well, I’d like the format more if browsers displayed them, by default.