 CAD / Development / 9102
Re: Repository of .dat files with inline POV-Ray code... any interest?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sun, 3 Aug 2003 02:01:28 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Tony Hafner wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Orion Pobursky wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Don Heyse wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Orion Pobursky wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Tony Hafner wrote:
I'm picturing files that are essentially official parts with some
added inline code.

Why not just a library of POV code only parts, ala LGEO/Raves, only
compatible with the LDraw.org library?  We could host this project on
Sourceforge so anyone who was interested could develop.  I think if
we do it Pov only, LDraw.org is more likely to offically recognize
our efforts

Because parts with inline POV code work with the version of L3P that
we have now.  Why not start by building a library of modified official
parts, but with the explicit goal of eventually converting them into
POV only parts when L3P or some other tool can support them that way?
That probably just a matter of running L3P on the tweaked parts and
saving the results.

That's right, Don. Please see http://news.lugnet.com/cad/dev/?n=7005

Orion continued:
I asked Lars a while back if he could wrap all the part definitions
with IFNDEF statements so that someone could define the parts they
wanted in an external include file and the rest would use the standard
L3P code.  Hopefully when a new version of L3P gets released, this will
be implemented.

Yes, it will.

Tony said:
Now that would rock.  For my personal use, this would almost entirely solve the
problem.  I could whip up a single file that contains all the parts I want to
fix, run it through L3P, manually fix the parts in the resulting file, and then
include that file.  Perhaps such an include could be the deliverable if people
want to collaborate.

Good initiative!
If the file gets too big or unhandy for POV, I will reconsider the L3PARTS
mentioned in http://news.lugnet.com/cad/dev/?n=7005
/Lars