 CAD / Development / 7005
Re: Inline POV-Ray code?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Thu, 28 Feb 2002 23:40:03 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Steve Bliss writes:
The one thing we gain by having embedded POV-Ray code is the ability to have
a portion of a part be done directly in POV-Ray, instead of doing the entire
file in POV-Ray.

Right!
I have always thought of the "0 IFNDEF L3PPOV" as a way to
utilize most of the normal LDraw lines (that L3P can convert
to equivalent POV code) and only replace a small tricky curvy section
by some POV code that would look better.

This saves you from defining the complete part in POV code.
And since L3P still converts on the fly, you can benefit from
part corrections in the main section.

0 IFNDEF L3PPOV
0 normal LDRAW version of part 326bp04.dat
0 ELSE
0 INCLUDE l3ppov\326bp04.pov
0 ENDIF
This IMHO doesn't belong in a part file, since the whole part
should be replaced by another file, which can be handled outside,
just like LGEO and primitive substitution.

As an alternative to embedded POV code I could support
file substituton with files in e.g. L3PPARTS.
A quick way to make a file there would be to let L3P do
a normal conversion of a part, copy'n'paste the whole thing
and replace the relevant section with better looking POV code.

If the tricky curvy section of a part was put into a subpart,
then it would be a lot easier.
/Lars