 CAD / Development / 7337
Re: Self-Certification in parts tracker
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 12 Jun 2002 22:54:09 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Damien Guichard writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Orion Pobursky writes:
I thought about this issue while I was at work and I've decided to reverse
my opinion on the matter.  I feel that self-cert is OK as long as the user
doing it is responsible and feels comfortable doing it.  I probably won't
start self-certifying my parts but if other want to, so be it.

-Orion
(make it billthefish and remove the obvious lettering to reply personally)

Hi reviewers,

I am also not disturbed by self-certification practice.
First the practice is mainly from people like Chris Dee and Franklin W. Cain
that I have high respect for, because of their past and present monumentuous
contribution. Their parts are also amazing and I do not contest their
precedence in using a voting "bonus".
Second, if a part has defect(s) I still can post my own review and
eventually an "hold" vote, an action that I consider as an authoring help,
not a sanction in any way.
Third, I am sorry Franklin W. Cain dislike the new voting system. I think it
is much better. It is quite slow from an individual author point of view.
But considering it from a user point of view, the part rate is not so bad.

Thanks to part authors,

Damien

Actually, since the previous time that this was raised, I have refrained from
self-certifying, and at that time cancelled all my existing
self-certifications. But on several of these files, that is still the last
action!

I'd like to see an easier way to target parts that have been in the queue for
the longest, and maybe a fast-track certification for fixes - maybe just one
certification. If a part is already approved, however flawed, then any
improvement is good and should feed through quickly.

I agree with Steve that the new system is generating a greater throughput with
less manual intervention, and higher quality. I hope that the relative ease of
update management means it is less of a burden for Steve as the admin, so more
likely to continue on a regular basis.

Chris