 CAD / Development / 7331
Re: Self-Certification in parts tracker
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 12 Jun 2002 00:05:12 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Franklin W. Cain writes:

I do *NOT* recall this discussion.
Was this on LUGNet?  How long ago?
Or, was it on "RTL"?  (Does anyone still use "RTL"?)

I don't recall the discussion either, but that doesn't change my opinion

Personally, I do *NOT* like the new way of doing things,
because it's just too slow.  I *much* prefer the timeliness
of the original way of getting files released, where *everyone*
was expected to review *every* file being considered for release,
and vote accordingly.  But, they wanted to change things,
to install better safeguards, to ensure a higher standard
of quality for the files to be released.  I certainly don't
begrudge "quality", but I cannot believe that we cannot
streamline this new process to make things, if not quite
as fast as originally, at least not as SLOW as things have
become...

I think is new system is WAY better.  Take a look at part 2598 and you'll
see why I think this way.  I'd rather have the process be slow and put out
quality vice quick and put out poorly made parts.

To be fair, I must admit that my perceptions are probably colored
to some degree by the eight years of painful memories of being
a programmer/analyst for certain critical systems-level applications
used by every customer application in the Air Force, with the lowly
rank of Staff Sergeant (E-5), trying to get software released through
a "Q/A" process that was designed by sadistic, bureaucratic civil
servants more interested in building their own empires, and making
their rivals look bad, than in getting software to the field (i.e.,
supporting the customers).  (Some day, ask me about the poor slob
who worked in the Pentagon and shot himself because he didn't get
my fixed software in time and he felt his career was over...)

Believe me I know your pain, I'm a nuclear electrcian in the Navy.  And
while the QA required in order for a 900 ton steel tube to be able to
submerge is a far cry from the Parts Tracker, the principle of *independant*
review is still the same.

In the end, I will do whatever I can (so long as it is "OK"
with the overseeing authorities) to expedite matters, but not
at the expense of quality.  I am *NOT* willing to wait years
and years for files to be certified.  But I'm equally unwilling
to release garbage.

Amen to that.  That is why it is incombent upon us reviewers to actually
review parts regularly.

-Orion
(make it billthefish and remove the obvious lettering to reply personally)